Requesting Data Files
Answers to common questions about Profiles are available below. If you cannot find your answer there, please contact us by using the Profiles Data Request Form.
State, large urban school district, territory, and tribal government data and documentation are owned and controlled by the jurisdictions that conducted the surveys. Many jurisdictions that conducted the surveys have given CDC permission to distribute their data upon request, but others manage the distribution of their data files themselves.
To request data files and documentation for a specific jurisdiction, follow these steps:
- View Participation History & Data Quality pdf icon[PDF – 7 pages] for information about which jurisdictions have weighted data in which survey years and to see which jurisdictions have given permission for CDC to distribute their data.
- Complete the Profiles Data Request Form, indicating the survey data you would like to receive.
- For jurisdictions that have given CDC permission to distribute their Profiles data, we will email data files to you directly. For jurisdictions that have not given us permission, we will email you contact information for that jurisdiction; you will need to contact the jurisdiction directly to discuss your data request.
Profiles data files from the Principal and Lead Health Education Teacher surveys are available for states, territories, large urban school districts, and tribal governments listed in Participation History & Data Quality pdf icon[PDF – 7 pages]. The availability of specific files depends on data quality and data-sharing policies. Profiles data files from the Lead Physical Education Teacher survey conducted in 2012 are available for the following jurisdictions:
States: Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin.
Large Urban School Districts: Broward County, FL; Los Angeles, CA; Miami-Dade County, FL; Orange County, FL.
Physical Education Profiles data files for the following jurisdictions require permission from the jurisdiction prior to making the files available: Hawaii, Massachusetts, Charlotte, NC; Houston, TX; Northern Mariana Islands, and Nez Perce tribe.
Results are not available from every jurisdiction for several reasons. First, some jurisdictions do not participate in the Profiles. Second, some jurisdictions that do participate do not achieve a high enough response rate to receive weighted results. Therefore, their results are not posted on the CDC web site and CDC does not distribute their data. The Participation History & Data Quality pdf icon[PDF – 7 pages] tables provide more details on which jurisdictions participated in the Profiles and whether they obtained weighted data.
In 2018, CDC funded 21 large urban school districts to conduct the Profiles. Seven of them (Broward County, FL; DeKalb County, GA; Duval County, FL; Miami-Dade County, FL; Orange County, FL; Palm Beach County, FL; and Shelby County, TN) are county-based school districts. The other funded school districts are identified on the Participation Map and the Participation History & Data Quality pdf icon[PDF – 273 KB] tables. County level results are not available for state data.
State, large urban school district, territory, and tribal government data from surveys conducted since 1998 are available in SAS®, ASCII, and Excel® formats.
Information about how Profiles data are processed and analyzed can be found in
- 2018 Data User’s Guide pdf icon[PDF – 232 pages]
- 2016 Data User’s Guide pdf icon[PDF – 217 pages]
- 2014 Data User’s Guide pdf icon[PDF – 196 pages]
- 2012 Data User’s Guide pdf icon[PDF – 260 pages]
- 2010 Data User’s Guide pdf icon[PDF – 175 pages]
The guides were first created for the 2010 Profiles; guides for previous years are not available.