During a multistate foodborne disease outbreak, CDC serves as lead coordinator between public health partners to detect the outbreak, define its size and extent, and to identify the source.
Public health officials investigate outbreaks to control them, so more people do not get sick in the outbreak, and to learn how to prevent similar outbreaks from happening in the future.
Recent Outbreak Investigations
- Frozen Shredded Coconut – Salmonella I 4,,12:b:- and Salmonella Newport
- Maradol Papayas – Salmonella Urbana
- Maradol Papayas – Salmonella Newport and Salmonella Infantis
- Maradol Papayas – Salmonella Anatum
- Maradol Papayas – Salmonella Infections
- Vulto Creamery Soft Raw Milk Cheese – Listeria monocytogenes
- I.M. Healthy SoyNut Butter – E. coli O157:H7
- Shell Eggs – Salmonella Oranienburg
Steps to Investigate Outbreaks
November 6-9, 2017
Garden Grove, CA
Brings together laboratorians, epidemiologists, and environmental health specialists with enteric disease outbreak response.
- Page last reviewed: July 21, 2017
- Page last updated: January 16, 2018
- Content source: