Keep Children Safe During Disaster Cleanup
- Keep children and pets away from debris.
- Children should not help with clean-up. Do not use N-95 masks on children.
- Do not allow children to play in moving or standing water.
- Children should cover their arms, legs and feet when outside.
- Use insect repellent with DEET or Picaridin on children when outside.
- Keep children away from dead or stray animals.
- Disinfect toys with diluted bleach. When in doubt, throw toys out.
- Wash hands with soap and clean water. Clean and cover open wounds.
HELP YOUR CHILDREN PREPARE FOR AND RECOVER FROM DISASTERS WITH THESE ACTIVITY BOOKS. www.cdc.gov/phpr/readywrigley/books.htm AND www.cdc.gov/childrenindisasters/pdf/Being_Safe_After_a_Flood-Activity_Book.pdfpdf icon [PDF – 5.1 MB]
MORE INFORMATION ON CLEAN UP: www.cdc.gov/disasters/cleanup/facts.html
MORE INFORMATION ON DISINFECTING TOYS: www.cdc.gov/healthywater/emergency/cleaning-sanitizing/household-cleaning-sanitizing.html