Health Education Materials
Health education is important for everyone. Those involved in the justice system and staff at correctional and detention facilities have a higher need for information about risk and the importance of prevention and treatment for some diseases and conditions, including HIV, viral hepatitis, sexually transmitted infections (STIs), tuberculosis (TB), and latent TB infection (LTBI).
These health education materials can be shared with people who are incarcerated and their families, as well as community-based reentry assistance programs, to help individuals prevent and receive treatment for these diseases and conditions.
- HIV Risk and Prevention – Contains resources that provide information on the various risk behaviors and various prevention methods that can be utilized to reduce the risk of transmitting HIV, including a poster on HIV and Injecting Drugs 101.
- HIV Treatment: The Basics – Find basic information on HIV treatment that can be used to develop education material.
- HIV Fact Sheets – These HIV fact sheets provide data about how HIV affects specific populations in the United States and information about HIV risk behaviors, prevention tools, testing, and more.
- Viral Hepatitis Resources Center – Here are various fact sheets and other resources for health professionals, patients, and national education campaigns. This includes fact sheets for different populations
Sexually Transmitted Diseases
- STD Fact Sheets– Contains basic fact sheets (plain language for the public) and detailed fact sheets for physicians and individuals with specific questions about sexually transmitted diseases. This information can be used to develop educational materials.
- National Network of STD Clinical Prevention Training Centers (NNPTC) – This page provides links to a group of CDC-funded regional centers created in partnership with health departments and universities. The centers develop, disseminate, and evaluate training and training assistance to improve STD care at the clinical provider, healthcare organization, and system levels.
- TB and People Living in Correctional Facilities in the United States – A page with data and statistics on TB and people living in correctional facilities in the United States.
- Questions and Answers About Tuberculosis – A booklet with information on the diagnosis and treatment of latent TB infection and TB disease.
- TB Fact Sheets – Contains various fact sheets on TB, including general information, screening, and treatment.
Lice and Scabies
- Typhus – Learn about the types, causes, spread, and treatment of Typhus. Includes information specific to health care providers.
- Bartonella – A page on information on the types, causes, spread, and treatment of Bartonella.
- MedlinePlus (National Library of Medicine) – An online health information resource for patients and their families and friends.
- National Prevention Information Network (CDC) – An information and resource platform connecting public health partners through collaborative communication and innovative technology solutions for HIV, viral hepatitis, STDs, TB, and adolescent and school health.