Female Condom Use
This document contains sexually graphic images and may not be suitable for some audiences
The Right Way To Use A Female Condom
Female Condom Dos and Don’ts
- DO use a female condom from start to finish, every time you have vaginal sex.*
- DO read the condom package insert and check the expiration date.
- DO make sure there are no tears or defects.
- DO use lubricant to help prevent the condom from slipping and tearing.
- DO store female condoms in a cool, dry place.
*Female condoms can also be used for anal sex.
- DON’T use a male condom with a female condom, as this can cause tearing.
- DON’T reuse a female condom.
- DON’T flush female condoms as they may clog the toilet.
How To Insert and Remove a Female Condom
Carefully open and remove female condom from package to prevent tearing.
The thick, inner ring with closed end is used for placing in the vagina and holds condom in place. The thin, outer ring remains outside of body, covering vaginal opening.
Find a comfortable position. While holding outside of condom at closed end, squeeze sides of inner ring together with your thumb and forefinger and insert into vagina. It is similar to inserting a tampon.
Using your finger, push inner ring as far up as it will go until it rests against cervix. The condom will expand naturally and you may not feel it.
Be sure condom is not twisted. The thin, outer ring should remain outside vagina.
Guide partner’s penis into opening of female condom. Stop intercourse if you feel penis slip between condom and walls of vagina or if outer ring is pushed into vagina.
To remove, gently twist outer ring and pull female condom out of vagina.
Throw away female condom in trash after using it one time. Do not reuse.
View Page In:Cdc-pdf PDF [468K]
Page last reviewed: November 18, 2016