Dental Dam Use
This document contains sexually graphic images and may not be suitable for some audiences
How To Use A Dental Dam As A Barrier For Oral Sex
Dental dams are latex or polyurethane sheets used between the mouth and vagina or anus during oral sex. Ready-to-use dental dams can be purchased online.
Dental Dam Dos and Don’ts
- DO use a new latex or polyurethane dental dam every time you have oral sex.
- DO read the package and check the expiration date.
- DO make sure there are no tears or defects.
- DO put on before starting oral sex and keep it on until finished.
- DO use water-based or silicone-based lubricant to prevent breakage.
- DO store dental dams in a cool, dry place.
- DON’T reuse a dental dam.
- DON’T stretch a dental dam, as this can cause it to tear.
- DON’T use nonoxynol-9 (a spermicide), which can cause irritation.
- DON’T use oil-based products like baby oil, lotion, petroleum jelly, or cooking oil because they will cause the dental dam to break.
- DON’T flush dental dams down the toilet as they may clog it.
How To Use a Dental Dam
Carefully open dental dam and remove from package.
Place dental dam flat to cover vaginal opening or anus.
Throw away used dental dam in trash.
How To Make a Dental Dam From a Condom*
Carefully open package, remove condom, and unroll.
Cut off tip of condom.
Cut off bottom of condom.
Cut down one side of condom.
Lay flat and to cover vaginal opening or anus.
*Be sure the condom is made of latex or polyurethane.
- Page last reviewed: August 12, 2016
- Page last updated: August 12, 2016
- Content Source: