Chickenpox Vaccine Saves Lives and Prevents Serious Illness Infographic
Chickenpox Vaccine Saves Lives and Prevents Serious Illness
During the first 25 years,* the U.S. chickenpox vaccination program has prevented an estimated:
- 91 million cases
- 238,000 hospitalizations,
- 2,000 deaths
*The U.S. chickenpox vaccination program started in 1995.
- More than 4 million chickenpox cases each year
- More than 10,000 hospitalizations each year
- Up to 150 deaths each year
- Fewer than 150,000 chickenpox cases each year
- Fewer than 1,400 hospitalizations each year
- Less than 30 deaths each year
Hospitalizations and deaths have become rare.
Vaccinate your child against chickenpox.
Talk to your doctor to make sure your child is up to date on both doses.
Learn more: U.S. chickenpox vaccination program.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention