Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Dr. Jeffrey White of the National Cancer Institute explains the different types of complementary and alternative medicine in this short video.
Complementary and alternative medicine are medicines and health practices that are not usually used by doctors to treat cancer.
- Complementary medicine is used in addition to standard treatments.
- Alternative medicine is used instead of standard treatments.
Examples of complementary and alternative medicine include—
- Acupuncture.external icon
- Tai chi, yoga, and other mind-body therapies.
- Vitamins, herbs, and other nutritional therapies.
Talk to your doctor before you start any kind of complementary or alternative medicine, even for managing side effects from standard treatment. Complementary and alternative medicines may make standard cancer treatments not work as well.
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine for Patientsexternal icon (National Cancer Institute)
- Talking about Complementary and Alternative Medicine with Health Care Providers: A Workbook and Tipsexternal icon (National Cancer Institute)
- Complementary and Alternative Medicineexternal icon (American Cancer Society)