Utility programs are small programs that perform a variety of useful functions for Registry Plus programs. They are implemented as Microsoft® Windows® applications using dynamic link libraries (DLLs) for their core operations. The DLL mechanism allows other programs to link to function libraries at run-time, giving full access to the capabilities within.
The conversion specifications describe the actions of the conversion program written to convert records in the North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR) version 21 XML to the NAACCR version 22 XML standard.
Effective with implementation of the NAACCR XML standard, data items are defined in XML dictionaries. The NAACCR base dictionary defines the standard NAACCR data items maintained by NAACCR as defined in the NAACCR Data Standards and Data Dictionary. The NAACCR base dictionaries for versions 21 and 22 are included in the NorthCon installation and are stored in the Data Dictionary folder within the application folder. The NAACCR base dictionaries are needed to convert data from NAACCR version 21 to 22.
The base dictionaries were final at the time of release of NorthCon, but are subject to change over time and can be replaced in the Northcon Data Dictionary folder. Please check NAACCR’s websiteexternal icon for the latest versions of the base dictionaries and replace the dictionaries in the Data Dictionary folder as needed.
User items must be defined individually in a user dictionary to convert data in user-defined fields from version 21 to 22. A simplified method for adding data items to a user dictionary has been added to NorthCon to address user-defined data items.
Conversion specifications are described below.
- Performs conversions related to staging, grade, and SSDI fields for cases diagnosed on or after January 1, 2018 and lists some of these cases for review.
Most scenarios requiring manual review are for those collecting AJCC TNM 8th and 9th Edition staging and EOD. For registries not requiring AJCC TNM staging and EOD, the review is optional; however, manual review listings will be generated if the file contains records with AJCC TNM and/or EOD staging data items populated.
- Performs conversions related to edits to improve data quality and consistency.
- Sets Staging API Versions Current based on the version of the AJCC Cancer Surveillance DLL.
- Enables grouping of tumors by Patient ID when the input file is sorted by Patient ID.
- The NAACCR Record Version [item 50] value is set to ‘220’ in each converted record.
First release, version 184.108.40.206, build date August 16, 2021
NorthCon22.exe, a freestanding program for Microsoft Windows, converts files of cancer registry records from NAACCR 21 to NAACCR 22, which are data formats prescribed by the North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR). Input files should conform to NAACCR version 21 XML. Converted output files will contain records in the NAACCR version 22 XML standard format. See the program’s online help in the Documentation folder for usage instructions. An additional resource with conversion specifications in spreadsheet format is also available: NorthCon 220 Conversion Spreadsheet.external icon
Note: v21 edits should be run and errors corrected prior to running the conversion.
The setup package contains a description of the application program interface and instructions for running the software.
- Uninstall Northcon220 if it was installed previously.
- Download the latest version of NorthCon, NorthCon22_installer_08_16_21.zip (ZIP file, 3 MB, August 16, 2021) to your computer.
- Unzip the file and run setup.exe to install the software. This program will install NorthCon22 without disturbing previous NAACCR versions of Northcon.
This initial release of NorthCon 22 includes the latest TNM9.dll file released by AJCC on August 4, 2021 and the nconv22.dll, which can be used to perform conversion with a program other than NorthCon22.exe. After installation, nconv22.dll can be found in the same directory in which you installed NorthCon22.exe.
For best results, use this application locally when working with large datafiles.
Use of network folders, especially with large files, may diminish application performance and stability.
The following older versions convert older NAACCR data files to more current NAACCR versions—
- Northcon210_220.127.116.11 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 18.0 to 21.0: Download NorthCon21_installer_06_15_21.zipexternal icon (June 15, 2021, 1.6 MB)
- Northcon180_18.104.22.168 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 16.0 to NAACCR 18.0: Download setup_northcon180_22.214.171.124.exe (April 18, 2019, 501 KB)
- Northcon160_1.1.1 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 15.0 to NAACCR 16.0: Download setup_northcon160_1.1.1.exe (March 4, 2016, .6 MB)
- Northcon150_1.1.1 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 14.0 to NAACCR 15.0: Download setup_northcon150_1.1.1.exe (March 17, 2015, 1.6 MB)
- Northcon140_1.0.2 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 13.0 to NAACCR 14.0: Download setup_northcon140_1.0.2.exe (March 18, 2014, 1.4 MB)
- Northcon130_1.0.2 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 12.2 to NAACCR 13.0: Download setup_northcon130_1.0.2.exe (April 8, 2013, 1.3 MB)
- Northcon122_1.0.0 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 12.1 to NAACCR 12.2: Download setup_northcon122_1.0.0.exe (December 12, 2011, 1.4 MB)
- Northcon121_1.0.3 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 12.0 to NAACCR 12.1: Download setup_northcon121_1.0.3.exe (September 15, 2011, 1 MB)
- Northcon12_1.0.3.exe Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 11.x to NAACCR 12.0: Download setup_northcon12_1.0.3.exe (January 11, 2012, 917 KB)
CDC is committed to providing resources that are accessible to people of all abilities. If you find that any of our information products, including what you see on this site, are not in compliance with Section 508 (29 U.S.C. § 794d), please contact us by e-mail or phone at 1 (800) 232-4636 or TTY at (888) 232-6348. When you contact us, please refer to the specific information found to be non-compliant. This will help us address the issue more quickly.