Utility programs are small programs that perform a variety of useful functions for Registry Plus programs. They are implemented as Microsoft® Windows® applications using dynamic link libraries (DLLs) for their core operations. The DLL mechanism allows other programs to link to function libraries at run-time, giving full access to the capabilities within.
- The conversion specifications describe the actions of the conversion program written to convert records in the North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR) version 16 standard to the NAACCR version 18 standard.
- All data items with defined locations in both the version 16 and 18 NAACCR layouts are moved to the new locations.
- The 1000-character State/Requestor Items  is moved as a single block.
- Items in the 75-character NPCR Specific Field  that were continued into the version 18 layout are moved individually to their new locations.
- Items in the 75-character NPCR Specific Field  that were discontinued after version 16 are not moved into the v18 record. (See the Northcon v18 Release Notes, packaged with the installer, for a list of items not relocated in v18.)
- Special study items for CDC’s CER and PCOR studies, other than any that were included in point 3 above, are not moved into the v18 record.
- The NAACCR Record Version  value is set to ‘180’ in each converted record.
A value of ‘4’ in Vital Status  is converted to a value of ‘0’.
Second release, version 22.214.171.124, build date April 5, 2019
NorthCon18.exe, a freestanding program for Microsoft Windows, converts files of cancer registry records from NAACCR 16 to NAACCR 18, which are data formats prescribed by the North American Association of Central Cancer Registries (NAACCR). Input files should conform to NAACCR version 16. Converted output files will contain records in the NAACCR 18 record layout. See the program’s online help for usage instructions.
Note: v16 edits should be run and errors corrected prior to running the conversion.
The setup package contains a description of the application program interface and instructions for running the software.
- Download the latest version of NorthCon, Northcon180_installer_04_18_19.zip (ZIP file, 607 KB, April 18, 2019) to your computer.
- Unzip the file and run setup.exe to install the software. This program will install NorthCon18 without disturbing previous versions of Northcon.
If you need just the DLLs to perform conversion with a program other than NorthCon18.exe, just copy them from the same directory where you install NorthCon18.exe.
Converting Previous Versions
The following older versions convert older NAACCR data files to more current NAACCR versions—
- Northcon160_1.1.1 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 15.0 to NAACCR 16.0: Download setup_northcon160_1.1.1.exe (March 4, 2016, .6 MB)
- Northcon150_1.1.1 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 14.0 to NAACCR 15.0: Download setup_northcon150_1.1.1.exe (March 17, 2015, 1.6 MB)
- Northcon140_1.0.2 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 13.0 to NAACCR 14.0: Download setup_northcon140_1.0.2.exe (March 18, 2014, 1.4 MB)
- Northcon130_1.0.2 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 12.2 to NAACCR 13.0: Download setup_northcon130_1.0.2.exe (April 8, 2013, 1.3 MB)
- Northcon122_1.0.0 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 12.1 to NAACCR 12.2: Download setup_northcon122_1.0.0.exe (December 12, 2011, 1.4 MB)
- Northcon121_1.0.3 Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 12.0 to NAACCR 12.1: Download setup_northcon121_1.0.3.exe (September 15, 2011, 1 MB)
- Northcon12_1.0.3.exe Record Converter: Converts NAACCR version 11.x to NAACCR 12.0: Download setup_northcon12_1.0.3.exe (January 11, 2012, 917 KB)
CDC is committed to providing resources that are accessible to people of all abilities. If you find that any of our information products, including what you see on this site, are not in compliance with Section 508 (29 U.S.C. § 794d), please contact us by e-mail or phone at 1 (800) 232-4636 or TTY at (888) 232-6348. When you contact us, please refer to the specific information found to be non-compliant. This will help us address the issue more quickly.