National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey
The National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) is a program of studies designed to assess the health and nutritional status of adults and children in the United States. The survey is unique in that it combines interviews and physical examinations.
Have you been selected to take part in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey?
Learn about participant involvement and benefits with the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey
The NHANES National Youth Fitness Survey (NNYFS) was a one year survey conducted in 2012. The NNYFS collected nationally representative data on physical activity and fitness levels of children and adolescents in the United States through interviews and fitness tests. On September 30, 2013, the first wave of this data was released. To review documentation and download datasets, go to the NNYFS Data and Documentation page.
New Survey Content for NHANES 2021-2022
- This notice describes the procedure for submitting a letter of intent to support new examination, laboratory, or questionnaire components for the 2021-2022 NHANES survey cycle.
- Waist Circumference Measurement Methodology Study: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 2016 [PDF – 1 MB] (1/7/2019)
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: Analytic Guidelines, 2011-2016
- National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey: Impact of Declining Response Rates on Nonresponse Bias, 2013 – 2016, Executive Summary
- Mean Body Weight, Height, Waist Circumference, and Body Mass Index Among Adults: United States,1999–2000 Through 2015–2016 [PDF – 434 KB] (12/20/2018)
- Apolipoprotein B (APOB_I 2015-2016)
- Cholesterol – Low – Density Lipoprotein (LDL) & Triglycerides (TRIGLY_I 2015-2016)
- Fatty Acids – Serum (FAS_G 2011-2012)
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) – Oral Rinse (ORHPV_I 2015-2016)
- Imidacloprid, 5-Hydroxy imidacloprid, Acetamiprid, N-desmethyl Acetamiprid, Clothianidin, and Thiacloprid in NHANES 2015-16 Surplus Urine (SSNEON_I 2015-2016)
- Personal Care and Consumer Product Chemicals and Metabolites (EPHPP_I 2015-2016)
- Prescription Medications (RXQ_RX_I 2015-2016)
- Prescription Medications – Drug Information (RXQ_DRUG 1988-2016)
- Preventive Aspirin Use (RXQASA_I 2015-2016)
Data Release – Limited Access Data
- Human Papillomavirus (HPV) – Oral Rinse – Youth (OHPV_I_R 2015-2016)
- Page last reviewed: January 7, 2019
- Page last updated: January 7, 2019
- Content source: