Patient Safety Analysis Quick Reference Guides
These quick reference guides were created to help you understand, modify, and interpret your data using the NHSN application’s various analysis output (report) options for the NHSN Patient Safety Component. These guides serve as companions to the “Introduction to NHSN Analysis” training slideset.
Analysis Quick Reference Guides
Frequently Requested Output/Reports
- How to obtain rates/standardized infection ratios (SIRs) for a fiscal year or cumulative time period [PDF - 128 KB]
- How to obtain a line list of procedures [PDF - 127 KB]
- How to obtain an event line list that includes pathogen information [PDF - 154 KB]
- How to obtain a line list of summary data [PDF - 268 KB]
Output/Report Option Types
Each of these guides will describe and provide an example of how to create, modify, and interpret the data displayed in the output/report.
- Line List [PDF - 196 KB]
- Line List - Custom Field Variable Names [PDF - 193 KB]
- Frequency Table [PDF - 338 KB]
- Bar Chart [PDF - 163 KB]
- Pie Chart [PDF - 165 KB]
- Rate Table [PDF - 307 KB]
- Run Chart [PDF - 187 KB]
- SIR Table: Device-associated [PDF - 188 KB]
- SIR Table: Surgical Site Infections [PDF - 174 KB]
- SIR Table: MRSA/CDI LabID Events [PDF - 215 KB]
Tips for Customizing Your Output/Reports
Filter Output by Time Period [PDF - 162 KB]
Explains how to filter any output option by a specific time period and includes a description for each of the date variable formats.
Filter Output by Additional Criteria [PDF - 169 KB]
Explains how to filter any output by additional variables and criteria.
Save Custom Output Options for Future Use [PDF - 115 KB]
Explains how to save modifications as a custom output option.
Share Custom Output Options with Coworkers [PDF - 149 KB]
Explains how to publish custom output modifications to be used by other users in your facility.
Export Data from NHSN [PDF - 131 KB]
Explains how to export your surveillance data and calculated rates and SIRs from NHSN into another compatible format.
Run Multiple Output Options [PDF - 146 KB]
Explains how to run different output options at the same time, also referred to as an “Output Set”.
Custom Fields [PDF - 174 KB]
Explains how to run analyses to include facility-defined custom variables (custom fields).
Using the Statistics Calculator [PDF - 324 KB]
Explains and provides examples on how to run statistical analyses on one or more measures using NHSN’s statistics calculator.
Detailed Guides for Specific Analysis Options
- Analyzing Procedure Closure Technique March 2014 [PDF - 124 KB]
- Analyzing MBI-LCBI CLABSI Data [PDF - 109 KB]
- Using the "SIR-CAUTI Data for CMS IPPS" Output Option May 2015 [PDF - 742 KB]
- Using the “SIR - CLAB Data for CMS IPPS” Output Option May 2015. [PDF - 710 KB]
- Using the “SIR - MRSA Blood FacwideIn LabID Data for CMS IPPS” Output Option July 2014 [PDF - 163 KB]
- Using the “SIR - FacWideIn CDI LabID Data for CMS IPPS” Output Option July 2014 [PDF - 163 KB]
- October 2010: Special Edition [PDF - 571 KB]
- NHSN Data Quality Output Options
Targeted Assessment for Prevention (TAP)
- TAP Reports for the Facility User March 2015 [PDF - 177 KB]
- TAP Reports for Groups March 2015 [PDF - 184 KB]
- TAP Glossary of Terms March 2015 [PDF - 127 KB]
- TAP FAQs
HAI Antimicrobial Resistance Output
- Antimicrobial Resistant Phenotype Definitions July 2015 [PDF - 274 KB]
- Line List-Antimicrobial Resistant Organisms February 2015 [PDF - 367 KB]
- Frequency Table-Antimicrobial Resistant Organisms February 2015 [PDF - 363 KB]
- Rate Table-Antimicrobial Resistance Percentages September 2015 [PDF - 468 KB]
- Page last reviewed: February 27, 2015
- Page last updated: September 24, 2015
- Content source: