CDC Media Advisory
CDC′s 2007 Cancer Conference
For Immediate Release: August 1, 2007
Contact: CDC Media Relations (404) 639-3286
CDC′s 2007 Cancer Conference: Meeting Future Challenges features presentations and topic sessions on key issues relating to cancer prevention and early detection.
August 13-16, 2007
265 Peachtree Street, NE
Atlanta, GA 30303
MONDAY, August 13 – (Opening Plenary)
- 4:00 p.m. – 5:20 p.m., Panel session: Cancer in the U.S.: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow (updates on cancer incidence and mortality from U.S. cancer registries, including the National Program of Cancer Registries), Brenda K. Edwards, PhD, National Cancer Institute; Thomas C. Tucker, PhD, MPH, University of Kentucky Cancer Control Program; Holly L. Howe, PhD, North American Association of Central Cancer Registries, Inc.
- 5:20 p.m. – 6:00 p.m., Keynote Address: 7 Dimensions of Highly Effective Cancer Control Leadership, Howard Koh, MD, MPH, Harvard School of Public Health
TUESDAY, August 14 – (Building Partnerships)
- 8:15 a.m. – 11:30 a.m., Panel sessions: Corporate and academic efforts to partner with public health around cancer prevention and control, John R. Seffrin, PhD, American Cancer Society; Arthur T. Himmelman, MA, Himmelman Consulting; Katrina D. McGhee, MBA, Susan G. Komen for the Cure; Martin J. Murphy, Jr., PhD, CEO Roundtable; Stephen W. Wyatt, DMD, MPH, University of Kentucky College of Public Health; H. Shelton Earp III, MD, University of North Carolina, Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center; David I. Gregorio, PhD, MS, University of Connecticut School of Medicine; Ellen Jones, MS, CHES, Consultant
- 2:00 p.m. – 4:45 p.m., Panel session: Using partnerships to improve colorectal cancer screening across the U.S., Laura C. Seeff, MD, CDC; Mary Doroshenk, MA, American Cancer Society; David H. Howard, PhD, Emory University; Marion R. Nadel, PhD, MPH, CDC; Cynthia Gelb, BSJ, CDC; Sun Hee Rim, MPH, CDC
WEDNESDAY, August 15 – (Workforce and Policy)
- 2:00 p.m. – 5:05 p.m., Panel sessions: Federal efforts to reduce cancer risk factors related to smoking, diet, and lack of physical activity, Rachel Ballard-Barbash, MD, MPH, National Cancer Institute; Graham A. Colditz, MD, DrPH, MBSS, AFPHM, Neiss-Gain Family Professor in Medicine, Washington University School of Medicine; María Elena Martínez, PhD, MPH, Arizona Cancer Center; Matthew T. McKenna, MD, MPH, CDC; Mikelle D. Robinson, MA, Michigan Department of Community Health; Nicole Blair, MPH, CDC; Richard P. Woodruff, BA, American Cancer Society; Abby C. Rosenthal, MPH, CDC; Karen Glanz, PhD, MPH, Emory University, Richard E. Dixon, MD, FACP, CDC; Adrienne Holland, BSN, RN, COHNS/CM, UPS Corporate Human Resources; Judy Pirnie Smith; BA, RN, COHNS/CM, SPHR, UPS Corporate Healthcare
- 4:00 p.m. – 5:15 p.m., Panel session: First of two presentations on lung cancer screening, Peter B. Bach, MD, MAPP, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center; Gerold Bepler, MD, PhD, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute; Howard P. Forman, MD, MBA, Yale University School of Medicine
THURSDAY, August 16 – (Emerging Technology)
- 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m., Panel session: Second of two sessions on lung cancer screening, Claudia Henschke, MD, PhD, Cornell University, James L. Mulshine, MD, Rush University Medical Center; Robert A. Smith, PhD, American Cancer Society
- 10:30 a.m. – 12:40 p.m., Panel session: Using new technologies to enhance cancer prevention and control, Kenneth Gerlach, MPH, CTR, CDC; Patricia Schoonmaker, MPH, Oregon Public Health Division; Hanna Weir, PhD, CDC
- 2:00 p.m. – 2:25 p.m., Report from the President′s Cancer Panel: Promoting Healthy Lifestyles: Policy, Program and Personal Recommendations for Reducing Cancer Risk, Margaret L. Kripke, PhD, President′s Cancer Panel, LaSalle D. Leffall, Jr., MD, FACS, Chairman, President′s Cancer Panel
An embargoed copy of the report is available through CDC contact listed above.
- 2:30 p.m. – 3:20 p.m., Panel session: Use of HPV vaccines for cancer prevention, Herschel W. Lawson, MD, CDC; Gary Dubin, MD, Glaxo Smith Kline Prophylactic Vaccines; Richard M, Haupt, MD, MPH, Merck Vaccine Division
- Historical Document: August 1, 2007
- Content source: Office of the Associate Director for Communication
- Notice: Linking to a non-federal site does not constitute an endorsement by HHS, CDC or any of its employees of the sponsors or the information and products presented on the site.
Get e-mail updates
To receive e-mail updates about this page, enter your
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
1600 Clifton Rd
Atlanta, GA 30333
TTY: (888) 232-6348
- Contact CDC-INFO