Publications, Reports, and Fact Sheets
A new study from a collaboration between the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) examined the mechanism of injury for concussion among more than 1,500 children ages 0- 17 years seen for a medical evaluation in a large pediatric healthcare system. Results from this study show a broad range of activities that children engage in on a daily basis, which can result in concussions across childhood and adolescence. The article explains that most of the current efforts are for sports-related injuries, and more efforts need to focus on preventing non-sports-related injuries.
- Kerr ZY, Register-Mihalik JK, Haarbauer-Krupa J, Kroshus E, Go V, Gildner P, Byrd KH, Marshall SW. Using opinion leaders to address intervention gaps in concussion prevention in youth sports: key concepts and foundational theory. Injury Epidemiology. December 2018, 5:28. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1186/s40621-018-0158-7
- Haarbauer-Krupa J, Comstock RD, Lionbarger MR, Hirsch S, Kavee A, Lowe B Healthcare professional involvement and RTP compliance in high school athletes with concussion. Brain Injury. June 2018. https://doi.org/10.1080/02699052.2018.1482426
- Nishijima DK, Gaona SD, Waechter T, Maloney R, Blitz , Elms AR, Farrales RD, Montoya J, Bair , Howard C, Gilbert M, Trajano RP, Hatchel KM, Faul M, Bell JM, Coronado VC, Vinson DR, Ballard DW, Tancredi DJ, Garzon H, Mackey KE, Shahlaie K, Holmes JF. The Incidence of Traumatic Intracranial Hemorrhage in Head-Injured Older Adults Transported by EMS with and without Anticoagulant or Antiplatelet Use. Journal of Neurotrauma. Mar 2018. https://doi.org/10.1089/neu.2017.5232
- Sarmiento K, Donnell Z, Hoffman R, Tennant B. Healthcare providers’ attitudes and behaviours related to pediatric mild traumatic brain injury: results from the 2014 DocStyles survey. Brain Inj. 2018 Apr 23:1-5. DOI: 10.1080/02699052.2018.1466197
- Chenoweth JA, Gaona SD, Faul M, Holmes JF, Nishijima DK. Incidence of Delayed Intracranial Hemorrhage in Older Patients After Blunt Head Trauma. JAMA Surg. Published online February 14, 2018. doi:10.1001/jamasurg.2017.6159
- Donnell Z, Hoffman R, Sarmiento K, Hays C. Concussion attitudes, behaviors, and education among youth ages 12-17: Results from the 2014 YouthStyles survey. J Safety Res. 2018 Feb; 64:163-169. DOI: 10.1016/j.jsr.2017.12.001.
- Daugherty J, Miles I, Sarmiento K, Sansone C, Kroshus E and Bethea B. A Description and Evaluation of the Concussion Education Application HEADS UP Rocket Blades. Health Promotion Practice. 2018; 19: 1-9.
- Waltzman D and Daugherty J. Concussion knowledge and experience among a sample of American adults. Journal of Concussion. 2018; 2. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/1524839918764670.
- Fuentes MM, Wang J, Haarbauer-Krupa J, Yeates KO, Durbin D, Zonfrillo MR, Jaffe KM, Temkin N, Tulsky D, Bertisch H, Rivara FP. (2018) Unmet Rehabilitation Needs After Hospitalization for Traumatic Brain Injury. Pediatrics. DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-2859
- Haarbauer-Krupa J, Arbogast KB, Metzger KB, Greenspan AI, Kessler R, Curry AE, Bell JM, DePadilla L, Pfeiffer MR, Zonfrillo MR, Master CL. (2018) Variations in Mechanisms of Injury for Children with Concussion. The Journal of Pediatrics. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2018.01.075
- Bell JM, Breiding MJ, DePadilla L. CDC’s Efforts to Improve Traumatic Brain Injury Surveillance. Journal of Safety Research. 2017; 62: 253-256. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsr.2017.04.002.
- Sarmiento K, Donnell Z, Hoffman R.A Scoping Review to Address the Culture of Concussion in Youth and High School Sports. J Sch Health. 2017 Oct;87(10):790-804. doi: 10.1111/josh.12552.
- Zogg CK, Haring RS, Xu L, Canner JK, AlSulaim H, Hashmi ZG, Salim A, Engineer LD, Haider AH, Bell JM, Schneider EB. The Epidemiology of Pediatric Head Injury Treated Outside of Hospital Emergency Departments. Epidemiology 2017. doi: 10.1097/EDE.0000000000000791
- Haarbauer-Krupa J, Ciccia A, Dodd D, Ettel D, Kurowski B, Lumba-Brown A & Suskauer S. (2016) Service Delivery in the Healthcare and Educational Systems for Children following Traumatic Brain Injury: Gaps in Care, Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation, published online ahead of publication: doi: 10.1097/HTR.0000000000000287
- Arbogast KB, Curry AE, Metzger KB, Kessler RS, Bell JM, Haarbauer-Krupa J, Zonfrillo MR, Breiding MJ, Master CL. Improving Primary Care Provider Practices in Youth Concussion Management. Clinical Pediatrics. 2017. DOI: 10.1177/0009922817709555.
- Viano DC, Parenteau CS, Xu L, Faul M. Head injuries (TBI) to adults and children in motor vehicle crashes. Traffic Injury Prevention. 2017. DOI: 10.1080/15389588.2017.1285023.
- Nishijima DK, Gaona SD, Waechter T, Maloney R, Bair T, Blitz A, Elms A, Farrales RD, Howard C, Montoya J, Bell JM, Faul M, Vinson DR, Garzon H, Holmes JF, Ballard DW. Out-of-Hospital Triage of Older Adults With Head Injury: A Retrospective Study of the Effect of Adding “Anticoagulation or Antiplatelet Medication Use” as a Criterion. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2017 Feb 24. DOI: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2016.12.018.
- Haarbauer-Krupa J, Taylor CA, Yue JK, Winkler EA, Pirracchio R, Cooper SR, Burke JF, Stein MB, Manley GT. Screening for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in a Civilian Emergency Department Population with Traumatic Brain Injury. J Neurotrauma. 2017 Jan 1;34(1):50-58. DOI: 10.1089/neu.2015.4158.
- Sarmiento K, Hoffman R, Donnell Z, Bloodgood, B. A case study of lessons learned and the evolution of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s HEADS UP concussion in sports campaign. Case Studies in Strategic Communication, 2016; 5:15.
- Haarbauer-Krupa J. Unintentional injury after traumatic brain injury: issues, assessment, and reducing risk. NeuroRehabilitation: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 2016 August; 39(3):1-2. DOI: 10.3233/NRE-161365
- Baldwin GT, Breiding MJ, Sleet D. Commentary – Using the Public Health Model to Address Unintentional Injuries and TBI: A perspective from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). NeuroRehabilitation: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 2016 August; 39(3):1-4. DOI: 10.3233/NRE-161366
- Haarbauer-Krupa J, Taylor CA, Yue JK, Winkler EA, Pirracchio R, Cooper SR, Burke JF, Stein MB, Manley GT, and the TRACK-TBI Investigators. Screening for post-traumatic stress disorder in a civilian emergency department population with traumatic brain injury. Journal of Neurotrauma. June 2016, ahead of print. doi:10.1089/neu.2015.4158.
- Arbogast KB, Curry AE, Pfeiffer MR, Zonfrillo MR, Haarbauer-Krupa J, Breiding MJ, Coronado VG, Master CL. Point of healthcare entry for youth concussion within a large pediatric care network. JAMA Pediatrics 2016 May; 170(4): epub ahead of print.
- Cheng TA, Bell JM, Haileyesus T, Gilchrist J, Sugerman DE, Coronado VG. Nonfatal playground-related traumatic brain injuries among children, 2001-2013. Pediatrics published online: May 2, 2016 (doi: 10.1542/peds.2015-2721.R3).
- Faul M, Xu L, Sasser S. Hospitalized Traumatic Brain Injury: Low Trauma Center Utilization and High Interfacility Transfers among Older Adults. Prehospital Emergency Care, DOI:10.3109/10903127.2016.1149651.
- Parker EM, Gilchrist J, Schuster D, Lee R, Sarmiento K. Reach and knowledge change among coaches and other participants of the online course: “concussion in sports: what you need to know”. J Head Trauma Rehabil. 2015 May-Jun; 30(3):198-206. DOI: 10.1097/HTR.0000000000000097
- The Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation special May/June 2015 issue features research from CDC and traumatic brain injury (TBI) partners. The issue highlights the need for strategies to prevent TBI and reduce their substantial physical, psychological, economic, and social impacts.
- Taylor CA, Greenspan AI, Xu L, Kresnow M. Comparability of national estimates for traumatic brain injury-related medical encounters. J Head Trauma Rehabil 2015; 30 (3): 150–159.
- Cuthbert JP, Harrison-Felix C, Corrigan JD, Bell JM, Haarbauer-Krupa JK, Miller AC. Unemployment in the United States after traumatic brain injury for working-age individuals: prevalence and associated factors 2 years postinjury. J Head Trauma Rehabil 2015; 30 (3): 160–174.
- Coronado VG, Haileyesus T, Cheng TA, Bell JM, Haarbauer-Krupa J, Lionbarger MR, Flores-Herrera J, McGuire LC, Gilchrist J. Trends in sports- and recreation-related traumatic brain injuries treated in US emergency departments: The National Electronic Injury Surveillance System-All Injury Program (NEISS-AIP) 2001-2012. J Head Trauma Rehabil 2015; 30 (3): 185–197.
- Harrison-Felix C, Pretz C, Hammond FM, Cuthbert JP, Bell, J, Corrigan J, Miller AC, Haarbauer-Krupa J. Life expectancy after inpatient rehabilitation for traumatic brain injury in the United States. J Neurotrauma 2015;32(23):1893-1901.
Reports to Congress
Reports to Congress
- Report to Congress on The Management of Traumatic Brain Injury in Children (February 2018)
- Report to Congress on Traumatic Brain Injury Epidemiology and Rehabilitation: Recommendations for Addressing Critical Gaps (March 2015)
- Report to Congress on Traumatic Brain Injury in the United States: Understanding the Public Health Problem among Current and Former Military Personnel (June 2013)
- Report to Congress on Mild Traumatic Brain Injury in the United States: Steps to Prevent a Serious Public Health Problem (September 2003)
- Traumatic Brain Injury in the United States: A Report to Congress (December 1999)
- DePadilla L, Miller GF, Jones SE, Peterson AB, Breiding MJ. Self-Reported Concussions from Playing a Sport or Being Physically Active Among High School Students — United States, 2017. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2018;67:682–685. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6724a3
- Taylor CA, Bell JM, Breiding MJ, Xu L. Traumatic Brain Injury–Related Emergency Department Visits, Hospitalizations, and Deaths — United States, 2007 and 2013. MMWR Surveill Summ 2017;66(No. SS-9):1–16. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.ss6609a1
- Kucera KL, Yau RK, Register-Mihalik J, et al. Traumatic Brain and Spinal Cord Fatalities Among High School and College Football Players — United States, 2005–2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2017;65:1465–1469. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6552a2
- Gilchrist J, Thomas KE, Xu L, McGuire LC, Coronado VG. Nonfatal Traumatic Brain Injuries Related to Sports and Recreation Activities Among Persons Aged ≤19 Years — United States, 2001–2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2011;60(39);1337-1342.
- Coronado VG, Xu, L, Basavaraju SV, et al. Surveillance for Traumatic Brain Injury–Related Deaths — United States, 1997–2007. MMWR Surveillance Summaries 2011;60(SS05);1-32.
- One and Five Year Outcomes After Moderate-to Severe Traumatic Brain Injury Requiring Inpatient Rehabilitation: Traumatic Brain Injury Report (May 2018)
- Traumatic Brain Injury in the United States: Emergency Department Visits, Hospitalizations and Deaths 2002-2006 (Blue Book)
- Brain Trauma Guidelines
- Traumatic Brain Injury in the United States: Assessing Outcomes in Children