Publications, Reports, and Fact Sheets
- Nishijima DK, Gaona SD, Waechter T, Maloney R, Bair T, Blitz A, Elms A, Farrales RD, Howard C, Montoya J, Bell JM, Faul M, Vinson DR, Garzon H, Holmes JF, Ballard DW. Out-of-Hospital Triage of Older Adults With Head Injury: A Retrospective Study of the Effect of Adding “Anticoagulation or Antiplatelet Medication Use” as a Criterion. Annals of Emergency Medicine . 2017 Feb 24. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2016.12.018.
- Haarbauer-Krupa J, Taylor CA, Yue JK, Winkler EA, Pirracchio R, Cooper SR, Burke JF, Stein MB, Manley GT. Screening for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in a Civilian Emergency Department Population with Traumatic Brain Injury. J Neurotrauma. 2017 Jan 1;34(1):50-58. DOI: 10.1089/neu.2015.4158.
- Sarmiento K, Hoffman R, Donnell Z, Bloodgood, B. A case study of lessons learned and the evolution of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s HEADS UP concussion in sports campaign. Case Studies in Strategic Communication, 2016; 5:15.
- Haarbauer-Krupa J. Unintentional injury after traumatic brain injury: issues, assessment, and reducing risk. NeuroRehabilitation: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 2016 August; 39(3):1-2. DOI: 10.3233/NRE-161365
- Baldwin GT, Breiding MJ, Sleet D. Commentary – Using the Public Health Model to Address Unintentional Injuries and TBI: A perspective from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). NeuroRehabilitation: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 2016 August; 39(3):1-4. DOI: 10.3233/NRE-161366
- Haarbauer-Krupa J, Taylor CA, Yue JK, Winkler EA, Pirracchio R, Cooper SR, Burke JF, Stein MB, Manley GT, and the TRACK-TBI Investigators. Screening for post-traumatic stress disorder in a civilian emergency department population with traumatic brain injury. Journal of Neurotrauma. June 2016, ahead of print. doi:10.1089/neu.2015.4158.
- Arbogast KB, Curry AE, Pfeiffer MR, Zonfrillo MR, Haarbauer-Krupa J, Breiding MJ, Coronado VG, Master CL. Point of healthcare entry for youth concussion within a large pediatric care network. JAMA Pediatrics 2016 May; 170(4): epub ahead of print.
- Cheng TA, Bell JM, Haileyesus T, Gilchrist J, Sugerman DE, Coronado VG. Nonfatal playground-related traumatic brain injuries among children, 2001-2013. Pediatrics published online: May 2, 2016 (doi: 10.1542/peds.2015-2721.R3).
- Faul M, Xu L, Sasser S. Hospitalized Traumatic Brain Injury: Low Trauma Center Utilization and High Interfacility Transfers among Older Adults. Prehospital Emergency Care, DOI:10.3109/10903127.2016.1149651.
- The Journal of Head Trauma Rehabilitation special May/June 2015 issue features research from CDC and traumatic brain injury (TBI) partners. The issue highlights the need for strategies to prevent TBI and reduce their substantial physical, psychological, economic, and social impacts.
- Taylor CA, Greenspan AI, Xu L, Kresnow M. Comparability of national estimates for traumatic brain injury-related medical encounters. J Head Trauma Rehabil 2015; 30 (3): 150–159.
- Cuthbert JP, Harrison-Felix C, Corrigan JD, Bell JM, Haarbauer-Krupa JK, Miller AC. Unemployment in the United States after traumatic brain injury for working-age individuals: prevalence and associated factors 2 years postinjury. J Head Trauma Rehabil 2015; 30 (3): 160–174.
- Coronado VG, Haileyesus T, Cheng TA, Bell JM, Haarbauer-Krupa J, Lionbarger MR, Flores-Herrera J, McGuire LC, Gilchrist J. Trends in sports- and recreation-related traumatic brain injuries treated in US emergency departments: The National Electronic Injury Surveillance System-All Injury Program (NEISS-AIP) 2001-2012. J Head Trauma Rehabil 2015; 30 (3): 185–197.
Harrison-Felix C, Pretz C, Hammond FM, Cuthbert JP, Bell, J, Corrigan J, Miller AC, Haarbauer-Krupa J. Life expectancy after inpatient rehabilitation for traumatic brain injury in the United States. J Neurotrauma 2015;32(23):1893-1901.
Reports to Congress
- Report to Congress on Traumatic Brain Injury Epidemiology and Rehabilitation: Recommendations for Addressing Critical Gaps (March 2015)
- Report to Congress on Traumatic Brain Injury in the United States: Understanding the Public Health Problem among Current and Former Military Personnel (June 2013)
- Report to Congress on Mild Traumatic Brain Injury in the United States: Steps to Prevent a Serious Public Health Problem (September 2003)
- Traumatic Brain Injury in the United States: A Report to Congress (December 1999)
- Taylor CA, Bell JM, Breiding MJ, Xu L. Traumatic Brain Injury–Related Emergency Department Visits, Hospitalizations, and Deaths — United States, 2007 and 2013. MMWR Surveill Summ 2017;66(No. SS-9):1–16. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.ss6609a1
- Kucera KL, Yau RK, Register-Mihalik J, et al. Traumatic Brain and Spinal Cord Fatalities Among High School and College Football Players — United States, 2005–2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2017;65:1465–1469. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6552a2
- Gilchrist J, Thomas KE, Xu L, McGuire LC, Coronado VG. Nonfatal Traumatic Brain Injuries Related to Sports and Recreation Activities Among Persons Aged ≤19 Years — United States, 2001–2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2011;60(39);1337-1342.
- Coronado VG, Xu, L, Basavaraju SV, et al. Surveillance for Traumatic Brain Injury–Related Deaths — United States, 1997–2007. MMWR Surveillance Summaries 2011;60(SS05);1-32.