- In 2014, there were approximately 288,000 TBI-related hospitalizations in the U.S., including over 23,000 among children.
- Unintentional falls and motor vehicle crashes were the most common mechanisms of injury contributing to a TBI diagnosis in which the patient was hospitalized. These two principal mechanisms of injury accounted for 52.3% and 20.4%, respectively, of all TBI-related hospitalizations.
- Rates of TBI-related hospitalizations per 100,000 population were highest among older adults aged ≥75 years (470.6), those aged 65-74 years (145.5), and individuals 55-64 years (89.5).
Trends in age-adjusted rates of TBI-related Hospitalizations
- From 2006 to 2014, age-adjusted rates of TBI-related hospitalizations decreased by nearly 8% (from 92.2 per 100,000 population to 84.9).
- This decrease coincides with a 34% decrease in the age-adjusted rate of TBI-related hospitalizations attributable to motor vehicle crashes (27.6 in 2006 to 18.1 in 2014).
- Despite the overall decrease in TBI-related hospitalization rates, there were increases in the age-adjusted rates of TBI-related hospitalizations attributable to falls (33.9 in 2006 to 42.9 in 2014) and intentional self-harm (0.4 in 2006 to 0.6 in 2014).
|Motor vehicle crashes||27.6||23.5||23.4||22.7||27.0||18.4||21.0||18.8||18.1|
|Unintentionally struck by or against an object||2.7||2.6||2.5||2.5||2.9||2.3||2.5||2.2||2.2|
|Other unintentional injury, mechanism unspecified‡‡||7.3||6.5||7.2||7.0||8.0||6.3||6.7||6.2||6.4|
|Other or no mechanism specified§§||13.0||13.8||6.9||7.9||11.2||8.4||9.4||9.7||9.2|
Source: Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project’s (HCUP) Nationwide Inpatient Sample. ¶Age-adjusted to the 2000 U.S. standard population. ††Includes falls of undetermined intent to maintain consistency with past data releases. ‡‡E-codes specify that the injury was unintentional but do not specify the actual mechanism of injury. §§Includes TBIs in which the intent was not determined as well as those due to legal intervention or war. Includes TBIs in which no mechanism was specified in the record. Does not include falls of undetermined intent.