Reported Tuberculosis in the United States, 2017
Reported Tuberculosis in the United States, 2017, presents summary data for tuberculosis (TB) cases verified and counted during 2017. Report of Verified Case of TB (RVCT) forms are submitted to the Division of TB Elimination (DTBE), National Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB Prevention (NCHHSTP), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Atlanta, Georgia, by 60 reporting areas (the 50 states, the District of Columbia, New York City, Puerto Rico, and 7 other U.S.-affiliated jurisdictions in the Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea).
Reported Tuberculosis in the United States, 2017, is similar to previous publications and contains an Executive Commentary, Technical Notes, seven major data sections, and appendices. The Executive Commentary includes highlights of the 2017 data, and the Technical Notes section provides information about how the data were collected and reported; these two sections are included to help the reader interpret the data.
Other sections provided in the annual report are described as follows:
- Morbidity Trend Tables — Trends in the overall TB case counts and case rates for the United States, its territories, and freely associated states, by selected demographic, clinical, and genotypic characteristics.
- Morbidity Tables, 2017 — Overall case counts and case rates for the United States and other jurisdictions, by selected demographic and genotypic characteristics.
- Morbidity Tables, 2015 — Overall case counts for the United States, by selected demographic and clinical characteristics for the most recent year for which data are available for certain follow-up variables that require a longer data collection period.
- Morbidity Tables, Reporting Areas, 2017 — TB case counts and case rates, by state and other jurisdictions, with tables of selected demographic and clinical characteristics.
- Morbidity Tables, Reporting Areas, 2015 — Data for the most recent year for which data are available for selected follow-up variables that require a longer data collection period.
- Morbidity Tables, Metropolitan Statistical Areas, 2017 — TB case counts and case rates, by metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs: see Technical Notes for further details), with tables of selected demographic and clinical characteristics.
- Estimates of Recent Transmission, 2016–2017 — Estimates of genotyped case counts and percentages of cases attributed to overall and extensive recent transmission for the United States, by selected geographic, demographic, and clinical characteristics.
- Surveillance Slide Set, 2017 — Figures from the annual surveillance slide set emphasizing key recent trends in TB epidemiology in the United States and selected jurisdictions. The slides with accompanying text can also be viewed and downloaded from http://www.cdc.gov/tb/.
- Tuberculosis Case Definition for Public Health Surveillance — Appendix A.
- Recommendations for Reporting and Counting Tuberculosis Cases — Appendix B.
- National Surveillance for Severe Adverse Events Associated with Treatment for Latent Tuberculosis Infection — Reporting Information — Appendix C.
- Genotyping Background Information and Glossary — Appendix D.