Four Major Initiatives
The Nationally Notifiable Disease Surveillance System (NNDSS) Modernization Initiative (NMI) is underway to enhance the system’s surveillance capabilities to provide more comprehensive, timely, and higher quality data than ever before for public health decision making.
BioSense is a syndromic public health surveillance system designed to help health officials at the state, tribal, local, and territorial levels. Its purpose is to efficiently, rapidly and collaboratively monitor and respond to harmful health effects of exposure to diseases or hazardous conditions.
Electronic Laboratory Reporting (ELR) is the electronic transmission from laboratories to public health of laboratory reports which identify reportable conditions. ELR has many benefits, including improved timeliness, reduction of manual data entry errors, and reports that are more complete.
The National Vital Statistics System (NVSS) is the nation’s birth, marriage, divorce, and death registry system. The NVSS initiative will transition the current system to electronic reporting to produce more rapid mortality reporting.
Publications & Resources
Surveillance Strategy Publications
Publications below are a select CDC listing:
- Mac Kenzie WR, Davidson AJ, Wiesenthal A, et al. The Promise of Electronic Case Reporting. Public Health Reports 2016:131;742-746. PDF Available
- Richards, CL, Lee, B. CDC Surveillance Strategy – A Strategy for Improving CDC Activities in Public Health Surveillance, Online J Public Health Inform. 2015; 7(1): e49. PDF Available
- Richards, CL, Iademarco, MF, Anderson, TC. A New Strategy for Public Health Surveillance at CDC: Improving National Surveillance Activities and Outcomes, Public Health Reports / November–December 2014 / Volume 129. PDF Available
- CDC Surveillance Strategy, 2014 – PDF (https://www.cdc.gov/ophss/docs/cdc-surveillance-strategy-final.pdf)
- Surveillance Strategy Resources
Key Websites & Links
- Surveillance Strategy Website
- Surveillance Data Platform (SDP) with Shared Services Website
- CDC Health Information Innovation Consortium (CHIIC) Website
- Toolkit for Planning an EHR-based Surveillance Program Website
- Meaningful Use – Public Health EHR Vendors Collaborative Website
- Electronic Laboratory Reporting Website
- National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System (NNDSS) Modernization Initiative Website
- YouTube: CDC – National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System (NNDSS) Modernization Initiative
Click on Conversations with CDC Surveillance Experts to learn how surveillance works from tracking everyday issues, like food poisoning, to understanding how we capture and report vital statistics
- Page last reviewed: May 8, 2017
- Page last updated: May 8, 2017
- Content source: