Publications and Resources
The Office of Public Health Scientific Services is navigating change by improving the value of public health surveillance and data. Learn more by reading the resources below.
A newly published report Public Health Surveillance: Preparing for the Future chronicles the CDC strategy to improve the agency’s public health surveillance and data capabilities over 3 to 5 years, beginning in 2014. This report captures targeted work to show progress and build trust and sets the stage for a more transformative strategy to improve the value of public health data.
- Ahier B. FHIR and the future of interoperability. Healthcare IT News website. http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/fhir-and-future-interoperabilityExternal. Published January 6, 2015.
- Benjamin EJ, Virani SS, Callaway CW, et al. Heart disease and stroke statistics—2018 update: a report from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2018;137(12):e67-e492. http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/137/12/e67External.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Background: Surveillance Strategy. https://www.cdc.gov/surveillance/Improving-Surveillance-Background.html.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Bridging Public Health and Health Care: Better Exchange, Better Data. https://www.cdc.gov/surveillance/bridging-public-health-and-health-care-better-exchange-better-data.html.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC Health Information Innovation Consortium (CHIIC). https://www.cdc
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC Surveillance Strategy Innovation Project Portfolio. https://www.cdc
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Progress and Projects. https://www.cdc.gov/surveillance/Progress-and-Projects.html.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Surveillance Strategy. 2014. https://www.cdc.gov/ophss/docs/CDC-Surveillance-Strategy-Final.pdfCdc-pdf.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Surveillance Strategy. 2015 fact card. https://www.cdc.gov/surveillance
- Department of Health and Human Services. Modernizing Morality Data Systems and Analytic Tools at CDC. https://www.hhs.gov/idealab/projects-item/modernizing-cdc-mortality-data-and-analytic-tools/External.
- Gould DW, Walker D, Yoon PW. The evolution of BioSense: lessons learned and future directions. Public Health Reports. 2017;132(Suppl 1):7s-11s. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0033354917706954External.
- Lee B. Martin T, Khan A, Fullerton K, et al. Modernizing Centers for Disease Control and prevention informatics using surveillance data platform shared services. Public Health Reports. 2018;133(2):130-135. http://journals.sagepub.com
- Lee, D. How to listen your way to the future of healthcare. Podcast transcript on: HCBiz website. http://thehcbiz.com
/listen-way-future-healthcare-dr-chesley-richards-cdc/External. Uploaded on October 26, 2017.
- Prothero G. The future of FHIR. Becker’s Health IT and CIO Report website. https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/healthcare
-information-technology/the-future-of-fhir.htmlExternal. Published July 17, 2017.
- Richards CL. Bridging people and technology: why population health mattersCdc-pdfExternal. Presentation at: 8th Annual Health IT Leadership Summit; November 7, 2017; Atlanta, GA.
- Richards CL, Iademarco MF, Anderson TC. A new strategy for public health surveillance at CDC: improving national surveillance activities and outcomes. Public Health Reports. 2014; 129(6):472-476. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles
- Richards CL, Iademarco MF, Atkinson D, et al. Advances in public health surveillance and information dissemination at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Public Health Reports. 2017;132(4):403-410. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full
- Richards CL, Lee B. CDC Surveillance Strategy—A strategy for improving CDC activities in public health surveillance. Online J Public Health Inform. 2015;7(1):e49. http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC4512337External.
- Rowitz, L. Training presented at: MidAmerica Center for Public Health Practice. What public health leaders at CDC think about leadership and practiceCdc-pdfExternal. Uploaded September 2012.
- Toon J. The health informatics revolution. Research Horizons. 2016;3. http://www.rh.gatech.edu/features/health-informatics-revolutionExternal.
- Vivolo-Kantor AM, Seth P, Gladden RM, et al. Vital Signs: trends in emergency department visits for suspected opioid overdoses — United States, July 2016–September 2017. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018;67(9):279–285. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr
- Lee, B., Martin, T., Khan, A., Fullerton, K., Duck, W., Kinley, T., … Richards, C. L. (2018). Modernizing Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Informatics Using Surveillance Data Platform Shared ServicesExternal. Public Health Reports, First Published February 8, 2018
- Edison L, Erickson A, Smith S, et al. Notes from the Field: Counterfeit Percocet – Related Overdose Cluster – Georgia(https://wwwdev.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/66/wr/mm6641a6.htm), June 2017. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2017;66:1119-1120. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6641a6External.
- Syndromic Surveillance: The Value of Real-time Data for Public Health Action. Public Health Reports Volume 132, Issue 1_suppl, July/August 2017External
- Richards CL, Iademarco MF, Atkinson D, Pinner RW, Yoon P, Mac Kenzie WR, Lee B, Qualters JR, Frieden TR. Advances in Public Health Surveillance and Information Dissemination at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Public Health Reports First Published June 13, 2017External
- Spencer MR, Ahmad F. Timeliness of Death Certificate Data for Mortality Surveillance and Provisional Estimates. Vital Statistics Rapid Release Special Report. Report No. 001, December 2016.Cdc-pdf
- Mac Kenzie WR, Davidson AJ, Wiesenthal A, et al. The Promise of Electronic Case Reporting. Public Health Reports 2016:131;742-746External. PDF AvailableExternal
- Richards, CL, Lee, B. CDC Surveillance Strategy – A Strategy for Improving CDC Activities in Public Health Surveillance, Online J Public Health Inform. 2015; 7(1): e49External. PDF AvailableExternal
- Update on Progress in Electronic Reporting of Laboratory Results to Public Health Agencies — United States, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015 Apr 3; 64(12): 328-330. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). [PDFCdc-pdf – page 16]
- Richards CL, Iademarco MF, Anderson TC. A New Strategy for Public Health Surveillance at CDC: Improving National Surveillance Activities and Outcomes. Public Health Reports / November–December 2014; 129(6):472-476External. PDF AvailableCdc-pdf
- CDC Surveillance Strategy, 2014 – PDF(https://www.cdc.gov/ophss/docs/cdc-surveillance-strategy-final.pdf)Cdc-pdf
- Recommendations for the National Notifiable Disease Surveillance System: A State and Local Health Department Perspective, CSTE, April 2013Cdc-pdfExternal. This report reflects recommendations to CDC from state and local participants to improve its mechanism for developing and maintaining surveillance systems.
Conferences, Presentations and Abstracts
- June 2018 – NCHS Board of Scientific Counselor Meeting: AgendaCdc-pdf, Presentations
- June 2018 – FHIR DevDays 2018 Conference: Presentation: FHIR and Public HealthExternal
- March 2018 – HIMSS 18 Conference: Presentation, Maximizing EHR Data for Public Health ReportingCdc-pdfExternal
- January, 2018 –NATIONAL COMMITTEE ON VITAL AND HEALTH STATISTICS, Full Committee – AgendaExternal, Briefing: Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR): A New Paradigm for Exchanging Health InformationCdc-pdfExternal
- December, 2017 – ONC Annual Meeting, Tackling Barriers to Interoperability and UsabilityExternal
- November, 2017 – CDC/ATSDR GIS Day 2017
- November, 2017 – Approaches and tools to enhance the management, evaluation and visualization of science and technology programsExternal
- November, 2017 – Podcast-How to Listen Your Way to the Future of HealthcareExternal
- November, 2017 – Bridging Public Health and Technology— Why Innovation MattersExternal, GA Tech/School of Interactive ComputingExternal
- November, 2017 – Health IT Leadership ConferenceExternal, Richards’ Presentation – Bridging People and Technology – Why Population Health MattersCdc-pdfExternal
- October, 2017 – National Association of Medical Examiners (NAME) 2017 Annual Meeting ProgramCdc-pdfExternal
- September, 2017 – National Committee on Vital and Health Statistics, Full Committee, AgendaExternal, Written Testimony of Chesley Richards, MD, MPH, FACP, Deputy Director for Public Health Scientific Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC),Cdc-pdfExternalPanel: Challenges and Opportunities: Federal LevelExternal, Panel: Future DirectionsExternal
- September, 2017 – National Center for Health Statistics, Board of Scientific Counselors, September 6 – 7, 2017, Update on CDC Surveillance Strategy- Where Data Meets RealityCdc-pdf
- June, 2017– Modernizing Public Health through Shared ServicesExternal
- June, 2017 – Investigation of a Canine Parvovirus Outbreak using Next Generation SequencingCdc-pdfExternal
- June, 2017 – ITdotHealth IV, 2017External— The last Mile: Delivering apps and services to the point of care using SMART-on-FHIR. “The Death Worm”: A SMART-on-FHIR, Clinical Decision Support Tool for Mortality Reporting: Click for VideoExternal ,Click for Slides Cdc-pptExternal
- June, 2017 – Modernizing CDC Informatics Using Surveillance Data Platform Shared ServicesCdc-pdfExternal: DoD/VA and Government Health IT Summit , ”Coordinating a Connected Health IT Environment for Military and Government”External
- May, 2017 – Public Health Data: A Conversation with Brian Lee, Business of Government Hour, RadioExternal
- October 2016 – Abstract 2: Evaluating the Surveillance-Related Programs and Workforce of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)External, 2016 American Evaluation Association Conference, presentation-Slides posted: http://comm.eval.org/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=14a48938-79c6-7109-12c3-0af800c4f61f&forceDialog=0External
- August, 2016 – Public Health Informatics Conference – D2 – Using the EHR Toolkit and the CDC Surveillance Strategy to Improve Surveillance Capabilities: Lessons from Houston and San Diego External
- August, 2016 – Public Health Informatics Conference – C1 – A Tale of Two CDC Surveillance Initiatives to Advance Public Health External
- August, 2016 – CDC’s Surveillance Data Platform and Shared Services InitiativeExternal
- November, 2015 – Abstract 2: How to Build a Research Evaluation Team in the Era of Big DataExternal
- October, 2015 – CDC Open Data HackathonExternal and ExternalOverviewExternal
- October, 2015 – Abstract 2: How to Build a Research Evaluation Team in the Era of Big Data PresentationExternal, 2015 American Evaluation Association Conference, presentation-Slides posted: http://comm.eval.org/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=72cf3148-e442-5ce7-cd8b-4633afa215f9&forceDialog=0External
- Fall, 2015 – Using Data Resources to Build a Stronger Infrastructure in HealthExternal, 9th Annual Health 2.0 ConferenceExternal
- June, 2015 – Online Toolkit to Support EHR-Based Surveillance Program PlanningExternal
- March, 2015 – Understanding Death Can Improve Health – Making Mortality Reporting More Timely and Useful.External More >>External
- January, 2015 – CDC Surveillance Strategy: Improving Data Collection and Use in CDC Public Health SurveillanceExternal
- November, 2014 – Webinar: A New Strategy for Public Health Surveillance at CDC: Improving National Surveillance Activities and OutcomesExternal, Association of Schools of Public Health
- Health Information Consortium
- Surveillance Data Platform
- Digital BridgeExternal
- Electronic Case ReportingExternal
- Notifiable Disease Modernization
- National Syndromic Surveillance
- Electronic Laboratory Reporting
- Mortality Surveillance
- Surveillance Resource Center