Publications and Resources
CDC’s is committed to improving the value of public health surveillance and data. Learn more about this ongoing work by reading the resources below.
A newly published executive summary of Public Health Data Modernization: Listening Session on Real-World Testing of 21st Century Cures Act Requirements highlights ways modern data standards and technologies, which will roll out nationwide by 2022, could benefit public health. Speakers shared their views on ways these enhanced data at IT capabilities could help public health agencies to access richer data needed to drive decision making and inform the public more quickly and with greater precision.
Download and print the Public Health Data Modernization Executive Summary Report pdf icon[PDF – 666 KB]
Public Health Surveillance: Preparing for the Future chronicles the CDC strategy to improve the agency’s public health surveillance and data capabilities over 3 to 5 years and sets the stage for a more transformative strategy to improve the value of public health data.
- Ahier B. FHIR and the future of interoperability. Healthcare IT News website. http://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/fhir-and-future-interoperabilityexternal icon. Published January 6, 2015.
- Benjamin EJ, Virani SS, Callaway CW, et al. Heart disease and stroke statistics—2018 update: a report from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2018;137(12):e67-e492. http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/137/12/e67external icon.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Background: Surveillance Strategy. https://www.cdc.gov/surveillance/Improving-Surveillance-Background.html.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Bridging Public Health and Health Care: Better Exchange, Better Data. https://www.cdc.gov/surveillance/bridging-public-health-and-health-care-better-exchange-better-data.html.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC Health Information Innovation Consortium (CHIIC). https://www.cdc
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC Surveillance Strategy Innovation Project Portfolio. https://www.cdc
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Progress and Projects. https://www.cdc.gov/surveillance/Progress-and-Projects.html.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Surveillance Strategy. 2014. https://www.cdc.gov/ophss/docs/CDC-Surveillance-Strategy-Final.pdfpdf icon.
- Department of Health and Human Services. Modernizing Morality Data Systems and Analytic Tools at CDC. https://www.hhs.gov/idealab/projects-item/modernizing-cdc-mortality-data-and-analytic-tools/external icon.
- Gould DW, Walker D, Yoon PW. The evolution of BioSense: lessons learned and future directions. Public Health Reports. 2017;132(Suppl 1):7s-11s. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/pdf/10.1177/0033354917706954external icon.
- Lee B. Martin T, Khan A, Fullerton K, et al. Modernizing Centers for Disease Control and prevention informatics using surveillance data platform shared services. Public Health Reports. 2018;133(2):130-135. http://journals.sagepub.com
- Lee, D. How to listen your way to the future of healthcare. Podcast transcript on: HCBiz website. http://thehcbiz.com
/listen-way-future-healthcare-dr-chesley-richards-cdc/external icon. Uploaded on October 26, 2017.
- Prothero G. The future of FHIR. Becker’s Health IT and CIO Report website. https://www.beckershospitalreview.com/healthcare
-information-technology/the-future-of-fhir.htmlexternal icon. Published July 17, 2017.
- Richards CL. Bridging people and technology: why population health matterspdf iconexternal icon. Presentation at: 8th Annual Health IT Leadership Summit; November 7, 2017; Atlanta, GA.
- Richards CL, Iademarco MF, Anderson TC. A new strategy for public health surveillance at CDC: improving national surveillance activities and outcomes. Public Health Reports. 2014; 129(6):472-476. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles
- Richards CL, Iademarco MF, Atkinson D, et al. Advances in public health surveillance and information dissemination at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Public Health Reports. 2017;132(4):403-410. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full
- Richards CL, Lee B. CDC Surveillance Strategy—A strategy for improving CDC activities in public health surveillance. Online J Public Health Inform. 2015;7(1):e49. http://europepmc.org/articles/PMC4512337external icon.
- Rowitz, L. Training presented at: MidAmerica Center for Public Health Practice. What public health leaders at CDC think about leadership and practicepdf iconexternal icon. Uploaded September 2012.
- Toon J. The health informatics revolution. Research Horizons. 2016;3. http://www.rh.gatech.edu/features/health-informatics-revolutionexternal icon.
- Vivolo-Kantor AM, Seth P, Gladden RM, et al. Vital Signs: trends in emergency department visits for suspected opioid overdoses — United States, July 2016–September 2017. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018;67(9):279–285. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr
- Office of Public Health Scientific Services. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Public Health Surveillance: Preparing for the Future. Atlanta, GA: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; September 2018.
- Lee, B., Martin, T., Khan, A., Fullerton, K., Duck, W., Kinley, T., Richards, C. L. (2018). Modernizing Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Informatics Using Surveillance Data Platform Shared Servicesexternal icon. Public Health Reports, First Published February 8, 2018
- Edison L, Erickson A, Smith S, et al. Notes from the Field: Counterfeit Percocet – Related Overdose Cluster – Georgia, June 2017. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2017;66:1119-1120. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15585/mmwr.mm6641a6external icon.
- Syndromic Surveillance: The Value of Real-time Data for Public Health Action. Public Health Reports Volume 132, Issue 1_suppl, July/August 2017external icon
- Richards CL, Iademarco MF, Atkinson D, Pinner RW, Yoon P, Mac Kenzie WR, Lee B, Qualters JR, Frieden TR. Advances in Public Health Surveillance and Information Dissemination at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Public Health Reports First Published June 13, 2017external icon
- Spencer MR, Ahmad F. Timeliness of Death Certificate Data for Mortality Surveillance and Provisional Estimates. Vital Statistics Rapid Release Special Report. Report No. 001, December 2016.pdf icon
- Mac Kenzie WR, Davidson AJ, Wiesenthal A, et al. The Promise of Electronic Case Reporting. Public Health Reports 2016:131;742-746external icon. PDF Availableexternal icon
- Richards, CL, Lee, B. CDC Surveillance Strategy – A Strategy for Improving CDC Activities in Public Health Surveillance, Online J Public Health Inform. 2015; 7(1): e49external icon. PDF Availableexternal icon
- Update on Progress in Electronic Reporting of Laboratory Results to Public Health Agencies — United States, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2015 Apr 3; 64(12): 328-330. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). [PDFpdf icon – page 16]
- Richards CL, Iademarco MF, Anderson TC. A New Strategy for Public Health Surveillance at CDC: Improving National Surveillance Activities and Outcomes. Public Health Reports / November–December 2014; 129(6):472-476external icon.
- CDC Surveillance Strategy, 2014 – PDFpdf icon
- Recommendations for the National Notifiable Disease Surveillance System: A State and Local Health Department Perspective, CSTE, April 2013pdf iconexternal icon. This report reflects recommendations to CDC from state and local participants to improve its mechanism for developing and maintaining surveillance systems.
Conferences, Presentations and Abstracts
- June 2018 – NCHS Board of Scientific Counselor Meeting: Agendapdf icon, Presentations
- June 2018 – FHIR DevDays 2018 Conference: Presentation: FHIR and Public Healthexternal icon
- March 2018 – HIMSS 18 Conference: Presentation, Maximizing EHR Data for Public Health Reportingpdf iconexternal icon
- January, 2018 –NATIONAL COMMITTEE ON VITAL AND HEALTH STATISTICS, Full Committee – Agendaexternal icon, Briefing: Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR): A New Paradigm for Exchanging Health Informationpdf iconexternal icon
- December, 2017 – ONC Annual Meeting, Tackling Barriers to Interoperability and Usabilityexternal icon
- November, 2017 – CDC/ATSDR GIS Day 2017
- November, 2017 – Approaches and tools to enhance the management, evaluation and visualization of science and technology programsexternal icon
- November, 2017 – Podcast-How to Listen Your Way to the Future of Healthcareexternal icon
- November, 2017 – Bridging Public Health and Technology— Why Innovation Mattersexternal icon, GA Tech/School of Interactive Computingexternal icon
- November, 2017 – Health IT Leadership Conferenceexternal icon, Richards’ Presentation – Bridging People and Technology – Why Population Health Matterspdf iconexternal icon
- October, 2017 – National Association of Medical Examiners (NAME) 2017 Annual Meeting Programpdf iconexternal icon
- September, 2017 – National Committee on Vital and Health Statistics, Full Committee, Agendaexternal icon, Written Testimony of Chesley Richards, MD, MPH, FACP, Deputy Director for Public Health Scientific Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC),pdf iconexternal iconPanel: Challenges and Opportunities: Federal Levelexternal icon, Panel: Future Directionsexternal icon
- September, 2017 – National Center for Health Statistics, Board of Scientific Counselors, September 6 – 7, 2017, Update on CDC Surveillance Strategy- Where Data Meets Realitypdf icon
- June, 2017– Modernizing Public Health through Shared Servicesexternal icon
- June, 2017 – Investigation of a Canine Parvovirus Outbreak using Next Generation Sequencingpdf iconexternal icon
- June, 2017 – ITdotHealth IV, 2017external icon— The last Mile: Delivering apps and services to the point of care using SMART-on-FHIR. “The Death Worm”: A SMART-on-FHIR, Clinical Decision Support Tool for Mortality Reporting: Click for Videoexternal icon ,Click for Slides ppt iconexternal icon
- June, 2017 – Modernizing CDC Informatics Using Surveillance Data Platform Shared Servicespdf iconexternal icon: DoD/VA and Government Health IT Summit , ”Coordinating a Connected Health IT Environment for Military and Government”external icon
- May, 2017 – Public Health Data: A Conversation with Brian Lee, Business of Government Hour, Radioexternal icon
- October 2016 – Abstract 2: Evaluating the Surveillance-Related Programs and Workforce of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)external icon, 2016 American Evaluation Association Conference, presentation-Slides posted: http://comm.eval.org/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=14a48938-79c6-7109-12c3-0af800c4f61f&forceDialog=0external icon
- August, 2016 – Public Health Informatics Conference – D2 – Using the EHR Toolkit and the CDC Surveillance Strategy to Improve Surveillance Capabilities: Lessons from Houston and San Diego external icon
- August, 2016 – Public Health Informatics Conference – C1 – A Tale of Two CDC Surveillance Initiatives to Advance Public Health external icon
- August, 2016 – CDC’s Surveillance Data Platform and Shared Services Initiativeexternal icon
- November, 2015 – Abstract 2: How to Build a Research Evaluation Team in the Era of Big Dataexternal icon
- October, 2015 – CDC Open Data Hackathonexternal icon and external iconOverviewexternal icon
- October, 2015 – Abstract 2: How to Build a Research Evaluation Team in the Era of Big Data Presentationexternal icon, 2015 American Evaluation Association Conference, presentation-Slides posted: http://comm.eval.org/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=72cf3148-e442-5ce7-cd8b-4633afa215f9&forceDialog=0external icon
- Fall, 2015 – Using Data Resources to Build a Stronger Infrastructure in Healthexternal icon, 9th Annual Health 2.0 Conferenceexternal icon
- June, 2015 – Online Toolkit to Support EHR-Based Surveillance Program Planningexternal icon
- March, 2015 – Understanding Death Can Improve Health – Making Mortality Reporting More Timely and Useful.external icon More >>external icon
- January, 2015 – CDC Surveillance Strategy: Improving Data Collection and Use in CDC Public Health Surveillanceexternal icon
- November, 2014 – Webinar: A New Strategy for Public Health Surveillance at CDC: Improving National Surveillance Activities and Outcomesexternal icon, Association of Schools of Public Health
- Health Information Consortium
- Surveillance Data Platform
- Digital Bridgeexternal icon
- Electronic Case Reportingexternal icon
- Notifiable Disease Modernization
- National Syndromic Surveillance
- Electronic Laboratory Reporting
- Mortality Surveillance
- Surveillance Resource Center