Laboratory testing of specimens from suspect smallpox vaccine adverse events or smallpox cases takes place in reference level Laboratory Response Network (LRN) member laboratories and at CDC. Consultation with the state epidemiologist, state health laboratory, and CDC is necessary before sending specimens to CDC.
Follow the protocols for collecting, packaging, and shipping specimens to ensure specimen adequacy and adherence to transport guidelines.
- Evaluating Patients for Smallpox: Acute, Generalized Vesicular or Pustular Rash Illness Protocol
- Negative Staining Electron Microscope Protocol for Rash Illness
- Laboratory Approach to the Diagnosis of Smallpoxexternal icon
- Occupational Exposure to Orthopoxviruses Among Laboratory Personnel
- Specimen Collection
- Packaging and Transporting Infectious Substances