Perinatal Quality Collaboratives
An Introduction to Perinatal Quality Collaboratives
Many states currently have active collaboratives, and others are in development. Visit State Perinatal Quality Collaboratives to view a list of state-based PQCs.
CDC is currently providing support for 36 state-based PQCs. Funding supports the capabilities of PQCs to improve the quality of perinatal care for mothers and babies in their states, including efforts to:
- Reduce preterm births.
- Reduce severe pregnancy complications associated with high blood pressure and hemorrhage.
- Reduce cesarean births among low-risk pregnant women.
- Improve screening and treatment for mothers with substance use disorder (including opioids), and affected newborns.
- Improve outcomes by implementing initiatives to address birth equity and improve respectful care.
- Improve connections between clinical and community settings to address nonmedical factors that influence health outcomes.
PQCs implement initiatives with the goal of reducing disparities in outcomes and enhancing equitable care for all.
CDC and the March of Dimes launched the National Network of Perinatal Quality Collaboratives (NNPQC) to support state-based PQCs in making measurable improvements in statewide health care and health outcomes for mothers and babies. In 2022, CDC awarded the National Institute for Children’s Health Quality to serve as the coordinating center for the NNPQC. NICHQ coordinates NNPQC activities, including providing support, mentoring, and resources for PQCs.
Developing and Sustaining Perinatal Quality Collaboratives – A Resource Guide for States [PDF – 566 KB]
CDC recognizes the value that PQCs can bring to improving health for mothers and babies and worked with experts to develop a resource guide to help develop and advance the work of state PQCs. Topics in the guide include starting a statewide collaborative, launching initiatives, data and measurement, sustainability, and more. This guide is an online resource that includes links to other useful resources for perinatal quality improvement work.
- The Illinois Perinatal Quality Collaborative (ILPQC) Success Story summarizes ILPQC’s plans, actions, and results in reducing severe pregnancy complications from high blood pressure.
- The Perinatal Quality Collaborative of North Carolina (PQCNC) Success Story [PDF – 235 KB] outlines PQCNC’s activities, results, and lessons learned in leading a national project to reduce infections in neonatal intensive care units.
- The Perinatal-Neonatal Quality Improvement Network of Massachusetts (PNQIN) Success Story [PDF – 166 KB] shares PNQIN’s actions, results, and insights related to improving breast milk use in neonatal intensive care units.
- The Illinois Perinatal Quality Collaborative (ILPQC) Success Story [PDF – 171 KB] shares ILPQC’s activities, achievements, and insights related to improving the accuracy of birth certificate data, an important source of information about the health of mothers and babies
- The Ohio Perinatal Quality Collaborative (OPQC) Success Story [PDF – 187 KB] discusses OPQC’s steps, accomplishments, and lessons learned in improving birth registry data, prematurity outcomes, and the number of babies born full-term.
- The New York State Perinatal Quality Collaborative (NYSPQC) Success Story [PDF – 815 KB] outlines NYSPQC’s steps, strategies, and lessons learned in reducing scheduled cesarean sections (C-sections) and labor inductions without a medical need before 39 weeks of pregnancy.
- The California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative (CMQCC) Success Story [PDF – 622 KB] discusses CMQCC’s partnerships, accomplishments, and lessons learned in building a data center, which helped hospitals to reduce severe pregnancy complications.
In partnership with CDC-funded collaboratives, CDC’s Division of Reproductive Health hosted webinars for PQCs to share strategies related to their development as well as specific perinatal quality improvement initiatives. Recordings of previous webinars are archived and available for viewing. New webinars are provided by the National Network of Perinatal Quality Collaboratives. To find out about future webinars, join your PQC colleagues on the National Network of Perinatal Quality Collaboratory.
- Advances in Maternal Fetal Medicine – Perinatal Quality Collaboratives: Working Together to Improve Maternal Outcomes.
- The National Network of State Perinatal Quality Collaboratives: A Growing Movement to Improve Maternal and Infant Health.
- State-Based Perinatal Quality Collaboratives: Pursuing Improvements in Perinatal Health Outcomes for All Mothers and Newborns.
- The Hard Work of Improving Outcomes for Mothers and Babies: Obstetric and Perinatal Quality Improvement Initiatives Make a Difference at the Hospital, State, and National Levels.
- Perinatal Quality Collaboratives: Improving Care for Mothers and Infants.
- State Perinatal Quality Collaborative for Reducing Severe Maternal Morbidity From Hemorrhage: A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis.
- Perinatal quality collaboratives and birth equity.
- Achieving Consensus Among Stakeholders Using the Nominal Group Technique: A Perinatal Quality Collaborative Approach.
- Improving birth certificate data accuracy in Alabama.
- An Initiative “that you do for one person”: Identifying Barriers and Facilitators to Implementing an Immediate Postpartum LARC Initiative in Florida Hospitals.
- Impact of Coronavirus Disease-2019 on Hospital Care for Neonatal Opioid Withdrawal Syndrome.
- Ethnic Disparities in the Care of Opioid-Exposed Newborns in Colorado Birthing Hospitals.
- Improving the Timely Delivery of Antihypertensive Medication for Severe Perinatal Hypertension in Pregnancy and Postpartum.
- Hospital Quality Improvement Interventions, Statewide Policy Initiatives, and Rates of Cesarean Delivery for Nulliparous, Term, Singleton, Vertex Births in California.
- The Colorado Hospitals Substance Exposed Newborn Quality Improvement Collaborative: Standardization of Care for Opioid-Exposed Newborns Shortens Length of Stay and Reduces Number of Infants Requiring Opiate Therapy.
- A quality improvement initiative to implement the eat, sleep, console neonatal opioid withdrawal syndrome care tool in Massachusetts’ PNQIN collaborative.
- Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Maternal and Infant Outcomes Among Opioid-Exposed Mother-Infant Dyads in Massachusetts (2017-2019).
- Statewide Quality Improvement Initiative to Reduce Early Elective Deliveries and Improve Birth Registry Accuracy.
- Statewide Initiative to Reduce Postnatal Growth Restriction among Infants <31 Weeks of Gestation.
- State-based Healthcare-Associated Infection (HAI) Prevention Activities
Learn about states’ progress in reducing HAIs and CDC tools and technical assistance to support state efforts to prevent HAIs.
- Enhancing Reviews and Surveillance to Eliminate Maternal Mortality (ERASE MM)
The ERASE MM Program supports agencies and organizations that coordinate and manage Maternal Mortality Review Committees.
- National Network of Perinatal Quality Collaboratives (NNPQC)
National Institute for Children’s Health Quality (NICHQ) currently serves as the coordinating center for the NNPQC. NICHQ coordinates NNPQC activities, including providing support, mentoring, and resources for PQCs.
- Alliance for Innovation on Maternal Health (AIM)
AIM is a national data-driven maternal safety and quality improvement initiative. AIM works to reduce preventable maternal mortality and severe morbidity across the United States.