Training and Resources for Health Workers and Mental Health
This page has training and resources by topic related to health workers and mental health. For more tools and resources related to mental health, you can visit the CDC Mental Health page. View our webinar on this NIOSH Initiative, Protecting Health Worker Mental Health: A Call-to-Action to learn more.
Safety Culture in Healthcare Settings is a training course that provides science and evidence-based information for healthcare workers with a focus on six competencies. The course is designed to increase knowledge about work-related hazards and address organizational and personal strategies to promote a safe and healthful work environment.
This online training can help nurses and their managers understand and cope with the demands of shift work and long work hours. Users should have a health science background. Parts 1 and 2 of the course each take about 1.5 hours each to complete. NIOSH encourages employers to provide work time to employees to complete this training. Continuing education certificates are available.
This training comes from a NIOSH Center for Excellence for Total Worker Health®, the Center for the Promotion of Health in the New England Workplace. It consists of four 15-30 minute long learning modules, plus case studies and reference material. The modules cover stressors in the healthcare workplace, the impact of job stress, and prevention strategies for individuals and institutions. This program meets the requirements of the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing at 244 CMR 5.00 for 4 contact hours.
Resources by Topic
- Managing Fatigue During Times of Crisis: Guidance for Nurses, Managers, and Other Healthcare Workers
- National Academy of Medicine: Systems Approaches to Improve Patient Care by Supporting Clinician Well-Being – National Academy of Medicine (nam.edu)
- Understanding and Preventing Burnout among Public Health Workers: Guidance for Public Health Leaders
- SAMHSA: Fact Sheets on Preventing Prescription Abuse in the Workplace
Several fact sheets that cover prescription abuse in the workplace. Information for both employers and workers.
- SAMHSA: Employee Assistance Program (EAP) Prescription Drug Toolkit and Fact Sheets
This toolkit and fact sheets provide guidance related to counseling, referrals, and follow-up services.
- Notes from the Field: Prevalence of Risk Factors for Suicide Among Veterinarians – US 2014
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report: February 2015 / 64(05):131-132