NIOSH Jupiter II Wide Area Light
The NIOSH Mining Program conducts mine illumination research to address the visual needs of the aging miner workforce and to improve miner safety by reducing glare and improving a miner’s ability to see mine hazards associated with slip, trip, and fall events and moving machinery accidents. This research enables improvements in mine lighting so miners can better see hazards, thereby reducing the potential for accidents. One result of this research is a light-emitting diode (LED) area light called the NIOSH Jupiter II Wide Area Light.
NIOSH developed the Jupiter II Wide Area Light wide area light for roof bolters and the illumination of working areas. The design objectives were to maximize area illumination while reducing glare. Manufacturers and mine operators can mount the Jupiter II in a variety of positions on equipment and in general work areas. The top photo shows the illumination from a typical LED machine headlight used on mining machines, and the bottom photo shows the increase in illumination from the Jupiter II.
|Total output||1664 lumens (lm)|
|Maximum candela||983 candela|
|Voltage||120 volts AC|
Downloading the Documentation
The downloadable ZIP file includes a PDF describing a functional overview of the Jupiter II Wide Area Light, a README file, and numerous individual software and schematic files created by NIOSH or NIOSH partners in this research. The CDC's Technology Transfer Office has approved the public release of these files.
For further information about NIOSH illumination research or working with the downloaded documentation, contact NIOSH Electrical Engineer John Sammarco at 412-386-4507 or ZIA4@cdc.gov.
- Cableless Electronic Surveying Systems for Horizontal Holes
- Do Light-Emitting Diode Cap Lamps Enable Improvements in Miner Safety?
- Improved LED Mine Lamp Designs
- NIOSH Illumination Research Addresses Visual Performance Needs with LED Technology
- NIOSH Saturn Area Light
- Noise Exposure and Overhead Power Line (OPL) Safety Hazards at Surface Drilling Sites
- The Potential Impact of Light Emitting Diode Lighting on Reducing Mining Injuries During Operation and Maintenance of Lighting Systems
- The Saturn LED Area Light Provides Improved Illumination for Greater Roof Bolter Safety
- Technology News 560 - The Saturn LED Area Light Provides Improved Illumination for Greater Roof Bolter Safety
- Underground Coal, Metal, and Nonmetal Mine Illumination Systems for Improving Miner Visual Performance