Current Intelligence Bulletin: NIOSH Practices in Occupational Risk Assessment
NIOSH Docket Number 316, CDC-2018-0060
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) sought comment on the draft document entitled Current Intelligence Bulletin: NIOSH Practices in Occupational Risk Assessment. The proposed NIOSH document described the underlying science and general approach used by NIOSH researchers when conducting high quality, scientifically sound assessments of the health risk associated with workplace hazards.
NIOSH obtained comments on the draft document with emphasis placed on the following questions for reviewers:
(1) Are the methods presented in the proposed NIOSH document consistent with the current scientific knowledge of toxicology, epidemiology, industrial hygiene, and risk assessment? If not, provide specific information and references that should be considered.
(2) Is there additional scientific information related to the issues of the proposed NIOSH document that should be considered for inclusion? If so, provide information and specify references for consideration. Is there any discussion in the document that should be omitted?
(3) Is information in the proposed NIOSH document explained in a clear and transparent manner? If not, specify (section, page, and line number) where clarification is needed.
To view the notice and related materials, visit https://www.regulations.govexternal icon and enter CDC-2018-0060 in the search field and click “Search.”
An online public meeting for NIOSH to present key information about the draft document and provide the opportunity for public comments was held September 13, 2018, from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m., Eastern Time.
- Federal Register Notice: Federal Register Notice pdf icon[PDF – 241 KB] – Final
- Federal Register Notice: Federal Register Notice [PDF – 196 KB] pdf icon
- Background Information:
Final – Current Intelligence Bulletin 69: NIOSH Practices in Occupational Risk Assessment (pdf of final document) pdf icon[PDF – 3 MB]
Draft – Current Intelligence Bulletin: NIOSH Practices in Occupational Risk Assessment pdf icon[PDF – 3 MB]
The report focuses on chemical risk assessment practices; however, some of these practices have benefited NIOSH assessments of other workplace hazards, such as ionizing radiation and noise. Risk assessments are an important tool for informed decision-making on workplace safeguards; therefore, these assessments have supported NIOSH recommendations on limiting chemical exposures. The information provided by the proposed NIOSH document is intended for NIOSH risk assessors, other scientists, stakeholders, and the public to improve their understanding of the NIOSH risk assessment process.