U.S. and State Trends on Teen Births, 1990–2015
This dashboard assembles all final birth data for females aged 15–19, 15–17, and 18–19 to produce interactive maps and trend lines for the United States and each of the 50 states.
- Use the arrows or the slider to select a year and the radio button to select a teen age group. The heat map shows teen birth rates by state and year. The color scale indicates the magnitude of the state teen birth rate.
- Select any state from the U.S. map. The line graph on the bottom right highlights the trends for that state from 1990 through the most recent data year; for comparison, U.S. trends are presented on the bottom left for the same time period.
- Download the dataset in CSV format by clicking the “CSV Format” link. Additional file formats are available for download for each dataset at Data.CDC.gov.
Data are based on 100% of birth certificates filed in all 50 states. All the teen birth rates in this dashboard reflect the latest revisions to Census populations (i.e., the intercensal populations) and thus provide a consistent series of accurate rates for the past 25 years. The denominators of the teen birth rates for 1991–1999 have been revised to incorporate the results of the 2000 Census. The denominators of the teen birth rates for 2001–2009 have revised to incorporate the results of the 2010 Census.
CDC/NCHS, VitalStats–Births, Birth Tables (see http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data_access/vitalstats/VitalStats_Births.htm); and CDC WONDER (see http://wonder.cdc.gov/).
- Martin JA, Hamilton BE, Osterman MJK, et al. Births: Final data for 2015. National vital statistics reports; vol 66 no 1. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics. 2017. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr66/nvsr66_01.pdf.
- Hamilton BE, Martin JA, Osterman MJK, et al. Births: Final data for 2014. National vital statistics reports; vol 64 no 12. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics. 2015. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_12.pdf.
- Ventura SJ, Hamilton BE, Mathews TJ. National and state patterns of teen births in the United States, 1940–2013. National vital statistics reports; vol 63 no 4. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics. 2014. Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr63/nvsr63_04.pdf.
- Hamilton BE, Mathews TJ. Continued declines in teen births in the United States, 2015. NCHS data brief, no 259. Hyattsville, MD: National Center for Health Statistics. 2016. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/databriefs/db259.htm.
Hamilton BE, Rossen L, Lu L, Chong Y. U.S. and state trends on teen births, 1990–2015. National Center for Health Statistics. 2017.
Designed by L Lu, BE Hamilton, L Rossen, A Lipphardt, JM Keralis, and Y Chong: CDC/National Center for Health Statistics.
- Page last reviewed: August 11, 2017
- Page last updated: August 24, 2017
- Content source: