Vector-Borne Diseases (DVBD)
Focus: To identify and respond to vector-borne disease that affects human health, domestically and globally.
Some key activities:
- Identify and respond to emerging and newly discovered pathogens threatening the United States and the world.
- Improve diagnostic tests and serve as a global reference laboratory for vector-borne pathogens.
- Investigate improvements to pesticides and repellents that target mosquitoes, ticks, and fleas.
- Develop and evaluate vaccines for dengue, Japanese encephalitis, and other vector-borne viruses and bacteria.
- Train domestic and global public health workers to prevent, diagnose, and control vector-borne diseases.
- Conduct surveillance and monitor the impact and spread of vector-borne diseases.