Data Source Information
This page provides information on data sources for select indicators on breastfeeding, early care and education, and fruits and vegetables. More detailed methodology for each indicator can be found in the provided websites.
- Breastfeeding Surveillance Sources
- Early Care and Education Surveillance Sources
- Physical activity
- Fruits and vegetables
- Fruits and Vegetables Surveillance Sources
- Births occurring at designated “baby friendly” hospitals
- International Board Certified Lactation Consultants per 1000 live births
- State child care regulation supports onsite breastfeeding
- Number of La Leche League Leaders per 1,000 live births
Data source information is available in the Breastfeeding Report Card. This report will be published every two years.
Indicator: State requires physical activity for child care (preschool)
Fruits and Vegetables
- State child care regulations meet national standards: fruit
- State child care regulations meet national standards: vegetables
Data were derived from the National Resource Center for Health and Safety in Child Care and Early Education (NRC) reportexternal icon. The NRC report date corresponds to the year of data release. The year of the data on Data, Trends, and Maps corresponds to the year of data collection.
Indicator: Census tracts with healthier food retailers
Data for 2011 were derived using 2011 InfoUSA and Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) authorized retailers’ data and the 2010 U.S. Census data. Data for 2014 were derived using 2014 InfoUSA and SNAP authorized retailers’ data and the 2010 U.S. Census data.
Links to non-Federal organizations are provided solely as a service to our users. These links do not constitute an endorsement of these organization or their programs by CDC or the Federal Government, and none should be inferred. CDC is not responsible for the content of the individual organization Web pages found at these links.