Parts of the Ear
Our ear and hearing is made up of many parts. Hearing loss can happen when any part of the ear or auditory (hearing) system is not working in the usual way.
The outer ear is made up of three parts;
- the part we see on the sides of our heads (pinna),
- the ear canal, and
- the eardrum (tympanic membrane).
The middle ear is made up of the eardrum and three small bones (ossicles) that send the movement of the eardrum to the inner ear.
The inner ear is made up of:
- the snail shaped organ for hearing (cochlea),
- the semicircular canals that help with balance, and
- the nerves that go to the brain.
The ear (auditory) Nerve
The hearing (auditory) System pathway in the brain