Disability and Health Healthcare Cost Data
- In 2015, disability-associated healthcare expenditures accounted for 36% of all healthcare expenditures for adults residing in the United States, totaling $868 billion, with state expenditures ranging from $1.4 billion in Wyoming to $102.8 billion in California. Of the national total
- Medicare paid $324.7 billion.
- Medicaid paid $277.2 billion.
- Non-public sources paid $266.1 billion.
- Healthcare spending for people with disabilities is determined by the cost of health-related services and the number of services used. Both vary across states and over time, which contributes to differences in healthcare spending across states.
For information on your state’s total disability-associated healthcare expenditures, please review your state’s profile.