Complications of Mumps
Mumps can occasionally cause complications, especially in adults.
Complications can include:
- inflammation of the testicles (orchitis); this may lead to a decrease in testicular size (testicular atrophy)
- inflammation of the ovaries (oophoritis) and/or breast tissue (mastitis)
- inflammation in the pancreas (pancreatitis)
- inflammation of the brain (encephalitis)
- inflammation of the tissue covering the brain and spinal cord (meningitis)
Inflammation of the testicles could lead to temporary sterility or decrease fertility in men, but no studies have assessed if it results in permanent infertility.