Toolkit for Controlling Legionella in Common Sources of Exposure
The Toolkit for Controlling Legionella in Common Sources of Exposure (Legionella Control Toolkit) provides public health and building owners and operators with concise, actionable information on controlling Legionella in commonly implicated sources of Legionnaires’ disease outbreaks. It helps focus and improve Legionella control efforts and protect the safety of a building’s employees, visitors, and surrounding community.
Use this toolkit to:
- Help evaluate hazardous conditions in systems that are commonly associated with Legionella
- Implement Legionella control measures per ASHRAE Guideline 12-2020
- Complement existing resources for water management programs (WMP), including the CDC Toolkit: Developing a WMP to Reduce Legionella Growth and Spread in Buildings
- Support environmental assessments conducted during public health investigations
The toolkit is made up of six modules: five provide system-specific information and the sixth contains information about routine testing for Legionella. All modules were developed according to ASHRAE Guideline 12-2020, CDC Guidance, and other resources.
- Controlling Legionella in Potable Water Systems [PDF version [4 pages]
- Controlling Legionella in Cooling Towers [PDF version [4 pages]
- Controlling Legionella in Hot Tubs [PDF version [4 pages]
- Controlling Legionella in Decorative Fountains [PDF version [3 pages]
- Controlling Legionella in Other Water Devices [PDF version [3 pages]
- Routine testing for Legionella [PDF version [5 pages]
The routine testing module contains practical information, such as values for performance indicators, a multifactorial approach to understanding test results, and a graphic to help assess how well-controlled a water system is for Legionella based on testing results.
The glossary includes terms and phrases used throughout the Legionella Control Toolkit.
CDC welcomes feedback on this toolkit. Email RDB@cdc.gov with your thoughts and suggestions.
- ASHRAE Guideline 12-2020
- CDC’s Legionella Web Site
- CDC’s Toolkit: Developing a Water Management Program to Reduce Legionella Growth and Spread in Buildings
- CDC’s Environmental Investigation Resources
- CDC’s Legionnaires’ Disease Resources for Environmental Health Professionals
- Preventing Legionnaires’ Disease: Frontline Tools for Environmental Health Practitioners [3 pages]
- Water Management Gaps and Legionnaires’ Disease Outbreaks