Environmental Investigation Resources
The following environmental assessment and sampling tools are available to assist in the environmental component of Legionnaires’ disease outbreak investigations.
- Legionella Environmental Assessment Form pdf icon[15 pages] (UPDATED June 2019)
Use this form to document a facility’s water systems, help determine whether to conduct Legionella environmental sampling, and, if so, develop a sampling plan.
- CDC Sampling Procedure and Potential Sampling Sites pdf icon[6 pages] (UPDATED June 2019)
Use this protocol to collect environmental samples for Legionella culture during an outbreak investigation or when cases of disease may be associated with a facility (includes sampling supply checklist).
- Sample Data Sheet pdf icon[1 page] (UPDATED June 2019)
Use this form to keep track of environmental samples taken for Legionella culture during an investigation.
- Environmental Investigation Videos
Watch six instructional videos for information on various environmental aspects of Legionnaires’ disease outbreak investigations.
- Procedures for Identifying Cooling Towers
Use this resource to help locate cooling towers quickly and accurately within a geographic area.
- Online Training — Preventing Legionnaires’ Disease: A Training on Legionella Water Management Programs
A consultant with Legionella-specific environmental expertise may sometimes be helpful in implementing and operating water management programs or when you desire additional remediation resources.
See Guidelines, Standards, and Laws for additional resources.
- HAN: Hot Tub Displays and Legionella Risk—Guidance for Environmental and Public Health Practitioners
- Preventing Occupational Exposure to Legionellapdf icon
- Toolkit: Developing a Water Management Program to Reduce Legionella Growth and Spread in Buildings: A Practical Guide to Implementing Industry Standards
- Preventing Legionnaires’ Disease: Environmental Health Expertise Is Key pdf icon[3 pages]
- What Owners and Managers of Buildings and Healthcare Facilities Need to Know about:
- Healthcare Water Management Program Frequently Asked Questions
- CME Activity: Legionnaires’ Disease Outbreaks and Cooling Towers, New York City, New York, USA
- From Plumbing to Patients: Water Management Programs for Healthcare Facilities
- Advancing Public Health Department Legionnaires’ Disease Prevention Efforts Through the Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity for Infectious Diseases Cooperative Agreementexternal icon