Environmental Investigation Resources
The following environmental assessment and sampling tools are available to assist in the environmental component of Legionnaires’ disease outbreak investigations.
Environmental Investigation Videos
CDC developed six instructional videos on various environmental aspects of legionellosis outbreak investigations.
- Legionella Environmental Assessment Form [13 pages] (UPDATED June 2015)
Use this form to document a facility’s water systems, help determine whether to conduct Legionella environmental sampling, and, if so, develop a sampling plan.
- CDC Sampling Procedure and Potential Sampling Sites [6 pages]
Use this protocol to collect environmental samples for Legionella culture during an outbreak investigation or when cases of disease may be associated with a facility (includes sampling supply checklist).
- Sample Data Sheet [1 page]
Use this form to keep track of environmental samples taken for Legionella culture during an investigation.
- Environmental Investigation Videos
Watch six instructional videos for information on various environmental aspects of Legionnaires’ disease outbreak investigations.
- Online Training — Preventing Legionnaires’ Disease: A Training on Legionella Water Management Programs (coming 2018)
A consultant with Legionella-specific environmental expertise may sometimes be helpful in implementing and operating water management programs or when you desire additional remediation resources.
See Guidelines, Standards, and Laws for additional resources.
- Toolkit: Developing a Water Management Program to Reduce Legionella Growth and Spread in Buildings: A Practical Guide to Implementing Industry Standards
- Preventing Legionnaires’ Disease: Environmental Health Expertise Is Key [3 pages]
- What Owners and Managers of Buildings and Healthcare Facilities Need to Know about:
- Healthcare Water Management Program Frequently Asked Questions
- CME Activity: Legionnaires’ Disease Outbreaks and Cooling Towers, New York City, New York, USA
- From Plumbing to Patients: Water Management Programs for Healthcare Facilities
- Advancing Public Health Department Legionnaires’ Disease Prevention Efforts Through the Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity for Infectious Diseases Cooperative Agreement
- Page last reviewed: April 30, 2018
- Page last updated: July 2, 2018
- Content source: