Environmental Investigation Resources
The following environmental assessment and sampling tools are available to assist in the environmental component of Legionnaires’ disease outbreak investigations.
- Legionella Environmental Assessment Form [15 pages] (UPDATED March 2022)
Use this fillable form to document a facility’s water systems, help determine whether to conduct Legionella environmental sampling, and, if so, develop a sampling plan.
- Legionella Environmental Assessment Form Marking Guide
Use this instructional resource to complete the Legionella Environmental Assessment Form, as well as increase awareness of conditions that may promote Legionella growth and spread.
- CDC Sampling Procedure and Potential Sampling Sites [6 pages] (UPDATED Jun 2019)
Use this protocol to collect environmental samples for Legionella culture during an outbreak investigation or when cases of disease may be associated with a facility (includes sampling supply checklist).
- Sample Data Sheet [1 page] (UPDATED Jun 2019)
Use this form to keep track of environmental samples taken for Legionella culture during an investigation.
- Environmental Investigation Videos
Watch six instructional videos for information on various environmental aspects of Legionnaires’ disease outbreak investigations.
- Procedures for Identifying Cooling Towers
Use this resource to help locate cooling towers quickly and accurately within a geographic area.
- Online Training — Preventing Legionnaires’ Disease: A Training on Legionella Water Management Programs
A consultant with Legionella-specific environmental expertise may sometimes be helpful in implementing and operating water management programs or when you desire additional remediation resources.
See Guidelines, Standards, and Laws for additional resources.
- HAN: Hot Tub Displays and Legionella Risk—Guidance for Environmental and Public Health Practitioners
- Preventing Occupational Exposure to Legionella
- Toolkit: Developing a Water Management Program to Reduce Legionella Growth and Spread in Buildings: A Practical Guide to Implementing Industry Standards
- Toolkit for Controlling Legionella in Common Sources of Exposure
- Preventing Legionnaires’ Disease: Environmental Health Expertise Is Key [3 pages]
- Preventing Legionnaires’ Disease: Frontline Tools for Environmental Health Practitioners [3 pages]
- Water Management Gaps and Legionnaires’ Disease Outbreaks
- What Owners and Managers of Buildings and Healthcare Facilities Need to Know about:
- Healthcare Water Management Program Frequently Asked Questions
- Water Management Programs for Healthcare Facilities
- Advancing Public Health Department Legionnaires’ Disease Prevention Efforts Through the Epidemiology and Laboratory Capacity for Infectious Diseases Cooperative Agreement