Finding Other Water Sources in an Emergency
Other sources of clean and safe water can be found inside and outside the home.
DO NOT DRINK water that has an unusual odor or color, or that you suspect might be contaminated with fuel or toxic chemicals. This water cannot be made safe, so you must find a different source of water for your needs.
The following are possible sources of water:
Inside the Home
- Water from your home’s water heater tank
- Melted ice cubes made with water that was not contaminated
- Liquid from canned fruit and vegetables
Listen to reports from local officials for advice on water precautions in your home. It may be necessary to shut off the main water valve to your home to prevent contaminants from entering your piping system.
Outside the Home
- Streams, rivers, and other moving bodies of water
- Ponds and lakes
- Natural springs
Water from some sources outside the home can be made safe for drinking by following the instructions on our Make Water Safe in an Emergency page.
- Page last reviewed: January 23, 2016
- Page last updated: January 23, 2016
- Content source: