More Candida auris Resources
- Candida auris: A Drug-resistant Germ That Spreads in Healthcare Facilities – Download Cdc-pdf[PDF – 2 Pages]
- Candida auris Colonization (Information for Patients) – Print only version Cdc-pdf[PDF – 1 page]
- Candida auris Testing (Information for Patients) – Print only version Cdc-pdf[PDF – 1 page]
- Information for Infection Preventionists – Print only version Cdc-pdf[PDF – 2 pages]
- Information for Laboratory Staff – Print only version Cdc-pdf[PDF – 2 pages]
Recommendations and guidelines
- Recommendations for Laboratorians and Health Professionals
CDC expert commentary
The Unexpected and Troubling Rise of Candida aurisExternal
August 24, 2017
CDC expert Dr. Tom Chiller discusses Candida auris, an emerging fungus that presents a serious global health threat.
- Ahmad, A. et al. A high-throughput and rapid method for accurate identification of emerging multidrug-resistant Candida aurisExternal. Mycoses. 2019 Feb 23.
- Welsh, R.M., et al. Insights into the unique nature of the East Asian clade of the emerging pathogenic yeast, Candida aurisExternal. J Clin Microbiol. 2019 Feb 13.
- Muñoz, J.F., et al. Genomic insights into multidrug-resistance, mating and virulence in Candida auris and related emerging speciesExternal. Nat Commun. 2018 Dec 17;9(1):5346.
- Wiederhold, N.P., et al. The fungal Cyp51 specific inhibitor VT-1598 demonstrates in vitro and in vivo activity against Candida aurisExternal. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2018 Dec 10.
- Bentz, M., et al. Phenotypic switching in newly emerged multidrug-resistant pathogen Candida aurisExternal. Med Mycol. 2018 Oct 16.
- Chow, N.A., et al. Multiple introductions and subsequent transmission of multidrug-resistant Candida auris in the USA: A molecular epidemiological surveyExternal. Lancet Infect Dis. 2018 Oct 4.
- Adams, E., et al. Candida auris in healthcare facilities, New York, USA, 2013-2017. Emerg Infect Dis. 2018 Oct;24(10):1816-1824.
- Berkow, E.L., et al. Activity of novel antifungal compound APX001A against a large collection of Candida aurisExternal. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2018 Aug 1.
- Forsberg, K., et al., Candida auris: The recent emergence of a multidrug-resistant fungal pathogenExternal. Med Mycol. 2018 Jul 31.
- Sexton, D.J., et al. Evaluation of a new T2 Magnetic Resonance assay for rapid detection of emergent fungal pathogen Candida auris on clinical skin swab samplesExternal. Mycoses. 2018 Jun 25.
- Escandon P., et al. Molecular epidemiology of Candida auris in Colombia reveals a highly-related, country-wide colonization with regional patterns in Amphotericin B resistanceExternal. Clin Infect Dis. 2018 May 16.
- Escandon P., et al. Notes from the Field: Surveillance for Candida auris– Colombia, September 2016-May 2017. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018 Apr 20;67(15):459-460.
- Hashemi M.M., et al. Ceragenins are active against drug-resistant Candida auris clinical isolates in planktonic and biofilm formsExternal. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2018 Jun 1;73(6):1537-1545.
- Araúz A.B., et al. Isolation of Candida auris from nine patients in Central America: Importance of accurate diagnosis and susceptibility testingExternal. Mycoses. 2018 Jan;61(1):44-47.
- Kordalewska M., et al. Rapid and accurate molecular identification of the emerging multidrug resistant pathogen Candida aurisExternal. J Clin Microbiol. 2017 Aug;55(8):2445-2452.
- Lepak A.J., et al. Pharmacodynamic optimization for treatment of invasive Candida auris infectionExternal. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017 Jul 25;61(8).
- Lockhart, S., et al. Candida auris for the clinical microbiology laboratory: Not your grandfather’s Candida speciesExternal. Clin Microbiol Newsl. 2017 Jul 1;39(13):99-103.
- Berkow, E.L., et al. Activity of CD101, a long-acting echinocandin, against clinical isolates of Candida aurisExternal. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2017 Nov 7.
- Lockhart, S., et al. Thinking beyond the common Candida species: Need for speciation of Candida due to the emergence of multidrug resistant Candida aurisExternal. J Clin Microbiol. 2017 Sep 13.
- Tsay, S., et al. Approach to the investigation and management of patients with Candida auris, an emerging multidrug-resistant yeastExternal. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 Aug 17.
- Welsh, R.M., et al. Survival, persistence, and isolation of the emerging multidrug-resistant pathogenic yeast Candida auris on a plastic healthcare surfaceExternal. J Clin Microbiol. 2017 Jul 26.
- Tsay, S., et. al. Ongoing Transmission of Candida auris in Health Care Facilities — United States, June 2016–May 2017. MMWR, 2017, May 18.
- Berkow, et al. In vitro activity of a novel glucan synthase inhibitor, SCY-078, against clinical isolates of Candida aurisExternal. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017 May 8.
- Vallabhaneni, S., et. al. Investigation of the first seven reported U.S. cases of Candida auris, a globally-emerging invasive fungus — United States, May 2013–August 2016 . MMWR, 2016, Nov 4.
- Lockhart, S., et al., Simultaneous emergence of multidrug resistant Candida auris on three continents confirmed by whole genome sequencing and epidemiological analysesExternal. Clinical Infectious Dis, 2016, Oct 20.
Page last reviewed: March 7, 2019