Preventing Fleas on Your Pets
Dogs and cats are very susceptible to fleas, but they can be protected. To prevent fleas on your pet:
- Limit the amount of time your pet spends outdoors.
- Limit contact with wild and stray animals.
- Bathe and brush pets regularly.
- Check for fleas regularly.
- Fleas prefer warmer and more humid months, but if there is an animal to feed on, fleas can survive year-round.
- Talk to your veterinarian about flea control products that are right for your pet.
- Treat pets for fleas year-round in order to kill adult fleas and prevent new ones from hatching.
- Always follow product instructions.
- If you find a flea on your pet or in your home, learn how to get rid of fleas right away to avoid further infestation.
Note–September 21, 2018: FDA Fact Sheet for Pet Owners and Veterinariansexternal icon about Potential Adverse Events Associated with Isoxazoline Flea and Tick Products. For additional information, please talk to your veterinarian.