Antibiotic Resistance (AR) Solutions Initiative
Improve antibiotic use through antibiotic stewardship, sepsis recognition, and prevention.
- Set national goals to improve antibiotic use.
- Cut inappropriate prescribing practices by 50% in doctors’ office and 20% in hospitals.
- Implement effective stewardship programs using CDC’s Core Elements and recommendations in doctors’ offices, hospitals, and nursing homes, integrated with sepsis early recognition programs.
- Support collaboration to develop and evaluate stewardship activities.
- Provide data about antibiotic use and trends to better understand prescribing practices. For example:
- Expand and use CDC’s National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) data to guide improvement of antibiotic use in hospitals.
- Better understand differences in prescribing patterns in doctors’ offices by states and develop strategies for improvement.
- Expand State HAI/AR Prevention Programs to help implement best practices around improving antibiotic prescribing.
- Support early recognition of sepsis. Heighten public awareness to prevent sepsis and its complications, and to improve antibiotic use.
Improve antibiotic use to combat antibiotic resistance.
HAI: healthcare-associated infection
- Page last reviewed: January 5, 2017
- Page last updated: January 5, 2017
- Content source: