Prepare Your Car for Winter Weather
Prepare for extremely cold weather every winter—it’s always a possibility. You can avoid many dangerous winter travel problems by planning ahead.
There are steps you can take in advance for greater wintertime safety in your car.
Have maintenance service on your vehicle as often as the manufacturer recommends. In addition, every fall, do the following:
- Have the radiator system serviced or check the antifreeze level yourself with an antifreeze tester. Add antifreeze as needed.
- Replace windshield-wiper fluid with a wintertime mixture.
- Replace any worn tires, make sure the tires have adequate tread, and check the air pressure in the tires.
During winter, keep the gas tank near full to help avoid ice in the tank and fuel lines.
Keep your car fueled and in good working order. Be sure to check the following:
- Windshield wiper fluid (wintertime mixture)
- Brake fluid
- Emergency flashers
- Tires (air pressure and wear)
- Page last reviewed: December 6, 2013
- Page last updated: December 11, 2014
- Content source: