Step by Step – How to Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
The Road to Health Toolkit provides materials to start a community outreach program to help people prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
- Understand type 2 diabetes
Learning how diabetes can affect your body is an important first step to preventing it.
- Learn what risk factors you have
Even if you are high risk, you can prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
- Know how type 2 diabetes can be prevented
There are changes you can make to your lifestyle that can help you prevent type 2 diabetes.
Make healthy food choices
- Manage portion sizes
The types of food and how much of it you eat makes a difference.
- Read food labelsNoticing the serving size and the amounts of nutrients in a food can help you make healthier choices.
- Choose healthy fats over unhealthy fats
Knowing the different types of fats and the foods they are in can help you know what foods to limit.
- Balance Carbs
Choose less processed carbs that have vitamins, minerals, and fiber along with energy.
- Try the traffic light method
Dividing foods into categories is a great way to track healthy choices for meals and snacks.
- Eat out smarter
Practice making healthy choices when you eat out can help you get on the road to better health.
Become physically active
- Get active and keep track of your movement
Aim to get 30 minutes of physical activity 5 days a week.
- Plan for challenges
Making lifestyle changes is hard. It can get easier if you plan for what might get in your way.
- Set goals that work for you
Break up big goals into smaller steps and take it one step at a time.
- Reward your achievements
Celebrate success, no matter how small.