Hypertension Journal Articles
Find additional information about hypertension (high blood pressure) in these peer-reviewed journal articles authored by CDC researchers.
- Vaughan AS, Coronado F, Casper M, Loustalot F, Wright JS. County-Level Trends in Hypertension-Related Cardiovascular Disease Mortality-United States, 2000 to 2019. J Am Heart Assoc. 2022;11(7):e024785.
- Shantharam SS, Mahalingam M, Rasool A, Reynolds JA, Bhuiya AR, Satchell TD, et al. Systematic Review of Self-Measured Blood Pressure Monitoring With Support: Intervention Effectiveness and Cost. Am J Prev Med. 2022;62(2):285-298.
- Rivera M, Johnson M, Choe HM, Durthaler JM, Elmi J, Fulmer E, et al. Evaluation of a Pharmacists’ Patient Care Process Approach for Hypertension, American Journal of Preventive Medicine. Am J Prev Med. 2022;62(1):100-104.
- Hannan JA, Commodore-Mensah Y, Tokieda N, Smith AP, Gawlik KS, Murakami L, et al. Improving hypertension control and cardiovascular health: An urgent call to action for nursing. Worldviews Evid Based Nurs. 2022;19(1):6-15.
- MacLeod KE, Ye Z, Donald B, Wang G. A Literature Review of Productivity Loss Associated with Hypertension in the United States. Popul Health Manag. 2022 Feb 3. Epub ahead of print.
- Li R, Kuklina EV, Ailes EC, Shrestha SS, Grosse SD, Fang J, et al. Medical expenditures for hypertensive disorders during pregnancy that resulted in a live birth among privately insured women. Pregnancy Hypertens. 2021;23:155-162.
- Meador M, Hannan J, Roy D, Whelihan K, Sasu N, Hodge H, Lewis JH. Accelerating Use of Self-measured Blood Pressure Monitoring (SMBP) Through Clinical-Community Care Models. J Community Health. 2021;46(1):127-138.
- Fang J, Luncheon C, Patel A, Ayala C, Gillespie C, Greenlund KJ, Loustalot F. Self-Reported Prevalence of Hypertension and Antihypertensive Medication Use Among Asian Americans: Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System 2013, 2015 and 2017. J Immigr Minor Health. 2021;23(1):26-34.
- Mpofu JJ, Robbins CL, Garlow E, Chowdhury FM, Kuklina E. Surveillance of Hypertension Among Women of Reproductive Age: A Review of Existing Data Sources and Opportunities for Surveillance Before, During, and After Pregnancy. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2021;30(4):466-471.
- Fang J, Luncheon C, Wall HK, Wozniak G, Loustalot F. Self-measured blood pressure monitoring among adults with self-reported hypertension in 20 US states and the District of Columbia, 2019. Am J Hypertens. 2021;hpab091.
- Oetgen WJ, Wright JS. Controlling Hypertension: Our Cardiology Practices Can Do a Better Job. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2021;77(23):2973-2977.
- Hartnett KP, Kite-Powell A, Patel MT, Haag BL, Sheppard MJ, Dias TP, et al. Syndromic Surveillance for E-Cigarette, or Vaping, Product Use-Associated Lung Injury. N Engl J Med. 2020;382(8):766-772.
- Meador M, Lewis JH, Bay RC, Wall HK, Jackson C. Who are the undiagnosed? Disparities in hypertension diagnoses in vulnerable populations. Fam Community Health. 2020;43(1):35–45.
- Ritchey MD, Hannan J, Wall HK, George MG, Sperling LS. Notes from the Field: Characteristics of Million Hearts Hypertension Control Champions, 2012–2019. 2020;69(7):196–197.
- Campbell NRC, He FJ, Tan M, Cappuccio FP, Neal B, Woodward M, et al. The International Consortium for Quality Research on Dietary Sodium/Salt (TRUE) position statement on the use of 24-hour, spot, and short duration (<24 hours) timed urine collections to assess dietary sodium intake. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2019;21(6):700–709.
- Chang TE, Ritchey MD, Park S, Chang A, Odom EC, Durthaler J, et al. National rates of nonadherence to antihypertensive medications among insured adults with hypertension, 2015. Hypertension. 2019;74(6):1324–1332.
- Fang J, Zhang Z, Ayala C, Thompson-Paul AM, Loustalot F. Cardiovascular health among non-Hispanic Asian Americans: NHANES, 2011–2016. J Am Heart Assoc. 2019;8(13):e011324.
- Ferguson JM, Costello S, Neophytou AM, Balmes JR, Bradshaw PT, Cullen MR, et al. Night and rotational work exposure within the last 12 months and risk of incident hypertension. Scand J Work Environ Health. 2019;45(3):256–266.
- He FJ, Ma Y, Campbell NRC, MacGregor GA, Cogswell ME, Cook NR. Formulas to estimate dietary sodium intake from spot urine alter sodium-mortality relationship. 2019;74(3):572–580.
- Jackson SL, Ayala C, Tong X, Wall HK. Clinical implementation of self-measured blood pressure monitoring, 2015–2016. Am J Prev Med. 2019;56(1):e13–e21.
- Overwyk KJ, Dehmer SP, Roy K, Maciosek MV, Hong Y, Baker-Goering MM, et al. Modeling the health and budgetary impacts of a team-based hypertension care intervention that includes pharmacists. Med Care. 2019;57(11):882–889.
- Ahuja R, Ayala C, Tong X, Wall HK, Fang J. Public awareness of health-related risks from uncontrolled hypertension. Prev Chronic Dis. 2018;15:E40.
- Chang TE, Ritchey MD, Ayala C, Durthaler JM, Loustalot F. Use of strategies to improve antihypertensive medication adherence within United States outpatient health care practices, DocStyles 2015–2016. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2018;20(2):225–232.
- Ciemins EL, Ritchey MD, Joshi VV, Loustalot F, Hannan J, Cuddeback JK. Application of a tool to identify undiagnosed hypertension — United States, 2016. 2018;67(29):798–802.
- Fang J, Gillespie C, Ayala C, Loustalot F. Prevalence of self-reported hypertension and antihypertensive medication use among adults aged ≥18 years — United States, 2011–2015. 2018;67(7):219–224.
- Heisey-Grove DM, Wall HK, Wright JS. Electronic clinical quality measure reporting challenges: findings from the Medicare EHR Incentive Program’s Controlling High Blood Pressure Measure. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2018;25(2):127–134.
- Jackson SL, Zhang Z, Wiltz JL, Loustalot F, Ritchey MD, Goodman AB, et al. Hypertension among youths — United States, 2001–2016. 2018;67(27):758–762.
- Park S, Gillespie C, Baumgardner J, Yang Q, Valderrama AL, Fang J, et al. Modeled state-level estimates of hypertension prevalence and undiagnosed hypertension among US adults during 2013–2015. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich). 2018;20(10):1395–1410.
- Patel P, Speight C, Maida A, Loustalot F, Giles D, Phiri S, et al. Integrating HIV and hypertension management in low-resource settings: lessons from Malawi. PLoS Med. 2018;15(3):e1002523.
- Reboussin DM, Allen NB, Griswold ME, Guallar E, Hong Y, Lackland DT, et al. Systematic review for the 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA Guideline for the Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Management of High Blood Pressure in Adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines [published correction appears in Hypertension. 2018 Jun;71(6):e145]. 2018;71(6):e116–e135.
- Ritchey MD, Gillespie MS, Wozniak G, Shay CM, Thompson‐Paul AM, Loustalot F, et al. Potential need for expanded pharmacologic treatment and lifestyle modification services under the 2017 ACC/AHA Hypertension Guideline. J Clin Hypertens. 2018 September; 20(10):1377–1391.
- Ritchey MD, Wall HK, Owens PL, Wright JS. Vital Signs: state-level variation in nonfatal and fatal cardiovascular events targeted for prevention by Million Hearts 2022. 2018;67:974–982.
- Va P, Luncheon C, Thompson-Paul AM, Fang J, Merritt R, Cogswell ME. Self-reported receipt of advice and action taken to reduce dietary sodium among adults with and without hypertension — nine states and Puerto Rico, 2015. 2018;67(7):225–229.
- Wright JS, Wall HK, Ritchey MD. Million Hearts 2022: small steps are needed for cardiovascular disease prevention. 2018;320(18):1857–1858.
- Young A, Ritchey MD, George MG, Hannan J, Wright J. Characteristics of health care practices and systems that excel in hypertension control. Prev Chronic Dis. 2018;15(6):E73.
- Zheutlin AR, Hu H, Weisskopf MG, Sparrow D, Vokonas PS, Park SK. Low-level cumulative lead and resistant hypertension: a prospective study of men participating in the Veterans Affairs Normative Aging Study. J Am Heart Assoc. 2018;7(21):e010014. doi:10.1161/JAHA.118.010014