Air Quality Resources for Professionals
Below you’ll find a variety of helpful resources about air quality for public health professionals — including research, data, tools for tracking the health impact of air pollution, and more.
Data on Air Quality
Use these links to find the latest data on air quality — and learn about data collection methods.
Current Air Quality Information
Use these links to get live updates about air quality.
The Health Impact of Air Pollution
Use these tools to help you stay up to date about the health impact of air quality.
- Patient Education Tools for Particle Pollution
- Effects of Common Air Pollutants
- Health Impacts of Fine Particles in Air
- Outdoor Air Communication Tools
Training for Health Care Providers
These toolkits can help you communicate with consumers about public health issues related to air pollution.
- Asthma and Air Pollution: A Tool Kit [PDF – 726 KB]
- Heart Health and Air Pollution: A Tool Kit [PDF – 1.2 MB]
You can also share this podcast with tips for avoiding the harmful health effects of poor air quality.
Information on Air Pollutants
Find information about EPA-classified air pollutants.
Research from CDC
Below you’ll find research on air quality and its health effects.
Publications from the International Biomass Smoke Health Effects Conference (IBSHE)
- Biomass Smoke Exposures: Health Outcomes Measures and Study Design [PDF – 593 KB]
- Biomass Smoke Exposures: Toxicology and Animal Study Design [PDF – 585 KB]
- Conference Summary: International Biomass Smoke Health Effects (IBSHE) [PDF – 551 KB]
- Public Communication in Unplanned Biomass Burning Events [PDF – 121 KB]
- Wood Smoke Risk Assessment: Defining the Questions [PDF – 589 KB]
Other CDC Publications on Air Quality
Check out the other most recent research and reports listed by year.
- Mirabelli MC, Boehmer TK, Damon SA, Sircar KD, Wall HK, Yip FY, Zahran HS, Garbe, PL. “Air Quality Awareness Among U.S. Adults With Respiratory and Heart Disease.” American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2018; 54 (5): 679-687.
- Mirabelli MC, Damon SA, Beavers SF, Sircar KD. “Patient–Provider Discussions About Strategies to Limit Air Pollution Exposures.” American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2018: epub ahead of print.
- Vaidyanathan A, Fuyuen Yip F, Garbe P. “Developing an online tool for identifying at-risk populations to wildfire smoke hazards.” Science of the Total Environment 619–620. 2018:376–383.
- Yip F, Christensen B, Sircar K, Naeher L, Bruce N, Pennise D, Lozier M, Pilishvili T, Farrar J, Stanistreet D, Nyagol R, Muoki J, de Beer L, Sage M, Kapil V. “Traditional and Improved Stove Use on Household Air Pollution and Personal Exposures in Rural Western Kenya.” Environment International. 2017; 99:185–191.
- Byers N, Ritchey M, Vaidyanathan A, Brandt A, Yip F. “Short-term effects of ambient air pollutants on asthma-related emergency department visits in Indianapolis, Indiana, 2007-2011.” J Asthma. 2016; 53:245-252.
- Heinzerling A, Hsu J, Yip F. “Respiratory Health Effects of Ultrafine Particles in Children: A Literature Review.” Water Air Soil Pollut. 2016; Epub ahead of print. Abstract
- Lozier MJ, Sircar K, Christensen B, Pillarisetti A, Pennise D, Bruce N, Stanistreet D, Naeher L, Pilishvili T, Loo Farrar J, Sage M, Nyagol R, Muoki J, Wofchuck T, Yip F. “Use of Temperature Sensors to Determine Exclusivity of Improved Stove Use and Associated Household Air Pollution Reductions in Kenya.” Environ Sci Technol. 2016; 50(8):4564-71.
- Mirabelli MC, Vaidyanathan A, Flanders WD, Qin X, Garbe P. “Outdoor PM2.5, Ambient Air Temperature, and Asthma Symptoms in the Past 14 Days among Adults with Active Asthma.” Environ Health Perspect. 2016: Epub ahead of print.
- Association of short-term exposure to ground-level ozone and respiratory outpatient clinic visits in a rural location – Sublette County, Wyoming, 2008-2011.
- Residential Proximity to Major Highways — United States, 2010 (MMWR)
- Statistical Air Quality Predictions for Public Health Surveillance: Evaluation and Generation of County Level Metrics of PM2.5 for the Environmental Public Health Tracking Network (International Journal of Health Geographics)
- Obstructive Lung Disease and Exposure to Burning Biomass Fuel in the Indoor Environment (Global Heart)
- Winter Temperature Inversions and Emergency Department Visits for Asthma in Salt Lake County, Utah, 2003-2008 (Environmental Health Perspectives)
- Effectiveness of Home-Based Multi-Trigger, Multicomponent Interventions with an Environmental Focus for Reducing Asthma Morbidity: A Community Guide Systematic Review — Abstract (American Journal of Preventive Medicine)
- Unhealthy Air Quality — United States, 2006–2009 (CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report)
- Public Communication in Unplanned Biomass Burning Events [PDF – 175 KB] (Inhalation Toxicology)
- Using Logic Models as Iterative Tools for Planning and Evaluating Physical Activity Promotion Programs in Curitiba, Brazil — Background (Journal of Physical Activity and Health)
- Page last reviewed: June 13, 2018
- Page last updated: June 13, 2018
- Content source: