What we know
- No vaccine exists to prevent Zika.
- Prevent Zika by avoiding mosquito bites.
- Mosquitoes that spread Zika virus bite mostly during the daytime.
- Mosquitoes that spread Zika virus also spread dengue and chikungunya viruses.
- Zika can be passed through sex from a person who has Zika to his or her sex partners. Condoms (and other barriers to protect against infection) can reduce the chance of getting Zika from sex.
- Local mosquito-borne Zika virus transmission has been reported in two areas of Miami. Learn more.
What you can do to protect yourself and others
- Page last reviewed: June 1, 2015
- Page last updated: August 22, 2016
- Content source: