- Cigarette smoking is associated with a tenfold increase in the risk of dying from chronic obstructive lung disease.
- About 90% of all deaths from chronic obstructive lung diseases are attributable to cigarette smoking.
Highlights from the 2004 Surgeon General's Report
- CDC's National Center for Environmental Health—COPD Resources
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute
- American Lung Association
Get email updates
To receive email updates about Smoking & Tobacco Use, enter your email address:
- CDC/Office on Smoking and Health
4770 Buford Highway
Atlanta, Georgia 30341-3717
TTY: (888) 232-6348