Cruise Ship Diarrheal Diseases Publications
This page lists selected publications related to cruise ship diarrheal diseases.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vessel Sanitation Program 2011 operations manual [PDF - 4.9 MB]. Atlanta: U.S. Public Health Service; 2011.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vessel Sanitation Program 2011 construction guidelines [PDF -2.9 MB]. Atlanta: U.S. Public Health Service; 2011.
- Chimonas MA, Vaughan GH, Andre Z, Ames JT, Tarling GA, Beard S, et al. Passenger behaviors associated with norovirus infection on board a cruise ship--Alaska, May to June 2004. J Travel Med. 2008;15(3):177-83
- Neri AJ, Cramer EH, Vaughan GH, Vinjé J, Mainzer HM. Passenger behaviors during norovirus outbreaks on cruise ships. J Travel Med. 2008;15(3):172-6.
- Cramer EH, Blanton C, Otto, Charles, Vessel Sanitation Program Environmental Health Inspection Team. Shipshape: Sanitation Inspections on Cruise Ships, 1990–2005, Vessel Sanitation Program, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. [PDF - 555 KB]. Journal of Environmental Health, March 2008, Volume 70, Number 7, PP. 15-23.
- Cramer EH, Blanton C, Browne L, Vaughan G, Bopp C, Forney D. Epidemiology of gastroenteritis on cruise ships, 2001-2004: the impact of noroviruses. Am J Prev Med. 2006;30(3):252-7.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vessel Sanitation Program Operations Manual 2005 [PDF - 1.64 MB]. Atlanta; U.S. Public Health Service 2005.
- Isakbaeva ET, Widdowson M-A, Beard RS, Bulens SN, Mullins J, Monroe SS, et al. Norovirus transmission on cruise ship. Emerg Infect Dis. 2005:154-7.
- Widdowson M-A, Cramer EH, Hadley L, Bresee JS, Beard RS, Bulens SN, et al. Outbreaks of acute gastroenteritis on cruise ships and on land: identification of a predominant circulating strain of norovirus - United States 2002. J Infect Dis. 2004;190(1):27-36.
- Cramer EH, Gu DX, Durbin RE, Vessel Sanitation Program Environmental Health Inspection Team. Diarrheal disease on cruise ships, 1990–2000: the impact of environmental health programs. Am J Prev Med. 2003;24(3):227-33.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vessel Sanitation Program Operations Manual 2000 [PDF - 2.36 MB]. Atlanta; U.S. Public Health Service 2000.
- Herwaldt BL, Lew JF, Moe CL, Lewis DC, Humphrey CD, Monroe SS, et al. Characterization of a variant strain of Norwalk virus from a food-borne outbreak of gastroenteritis on a cruise ship in Hawaii. J Clin Microbiol. 1994;4:861-6.
- Khan AS, Moe CL, Glass RI, Monroe SS, Estes MK, Chapman LK, et al. Norwalk virus-associated gastroenteritis traced to ice consumption aboard a cruise ship in Hawaii: comparison and application of molecular method-based assays. J Clin Microbiol. 1994;2:318-22.
- Lew JF, Swerdlow DL, Dance ME, Griffin PM, Bopp CA, Gillenwater MJ, et al. An outbreak of shigellosis aboard a cruise ship caused by a multiple-antibiotic-resistant strain of Shigella flexneri. Am J Epidemiol. 1991;134(4):413-20.
- Merson MH, Tenney JH, Meyers JD, Wood BT, Wells JG, Rymzo W, et al. Shigellosis at sea: an outbreak aboard a passenger cruise ship. Am J Epidemiol. 1975;101:165-75.
- Nguyen, CH, Qualls NL, O'Toole TE. A cost-effectiveness analysis of the Vessel Sanitation Program. Atlanta: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Public Health Service 1989.
- Ho MS, Glass RI, Monroe SS, Madore HP, Stine S, Pinsky PF, et al. Viral gastroenteritis aboard a cruise ship. Lancet. 1989 Oct 21;2(8669):961-5.
- Addiss DG, Yashuk JC, Clapp DE, Blake PA. Outbreaks of diarrhoeal illness on passenger cruise ships, 1975-85. Epidemiol Infect. 1989;103(1):63-72.
- Sawyer LA, Murphy JJ, Kaplan JE, Pinsky PF, Chacon D, Walmsley S, et al. 25- to 30-nm virus particle associated with a hospital outbreak of acute gastroenteritis with evidence for airborne transmission. Am J Epidemiol. 1988;127:1261-71.
- Dannenberg AL, Yashuk JC, Feldman RA. Gastrointestinal illness on passenger cruise ships, 1975-1978. Am J Publ Health. 1982;72:484-8.
- Gunn RA, Terranova WA, Greenberg HB, Yashuk J, Gary GW, Wells JG, et al. Norwalk virus gastroenteritis aboard a cruise ship: an outbreak of five consecutive cruises. Am J Epidemiol. 1980;1122:820-7.
- Merson MH, Hughes JM, Wood BT, Yashuk JC, Wells JG. Gastrointestinal illness on passenger cruise ships. JAMA. 1975;723-7.
Also see MMWR Articles about Cruise Ships
- Page last reviewed: June 17, 2013
- Page last updated: August 5, 2013
- Content source: