Control High Blood Pressure Indicators
Use of evidence-based services
Statin Therapy for the Prevention and Treatment of Cardiovascular Disease (CMS 347external icon) NQF, Million Hearts
- Percentage of the following patients- all considered at high risk of cardiovascular events- who were prescribed or were on statin therapy during the measurement period:
- Adults aged >= 21 years who were previously diagnosed with or currently have an active diagnosis of clinical atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD); OR
- Adults aged >21 years who have ever had a fasting or direct low-density lipoprotein cholesterol (LDL-C) level >=190 mg/dL or were previously diagnosed with or currently have an active diagnosis of familial or pure hypercholesterolemia; OR
Adults aged 40-75 years with a diagnosis of diabetes with a fasting or direct LDL-C level of 70-189 mg/dL
Monthly or quarterly
Controlling High Blood Pressure (NQF 0018pdf iconexternal icon) HEDIS, Medicaid, NQF
- The percentage of patients 18 to 85 years of age who had a diagnosis of hypertension (HTN) and whose blood pressure (BP) was adequately controlled (<140/90) during the measurement year.
- Some health care professionals diagnose patients with hypertension if their blood pressure is consistently 140/90 mm Hg or higher. This limit is based on guidelines and recommendations released in 2003 and 2014.1,2
Other health care professionals diagnose patients with hypertension if their blood pressure is consistently 130/80 mm Hg or higher. This limit is based on the American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association’s (ACC/AHA) hypertension clinical practice guidelineexternal icon that was released in 2017.3
HEDIS HEDISexternal icon Measure
Medicaid Medicaid Core Setexternal icon Measure
MIPS MIPSexternal icon Measure
Million Hearts Million Heartsexternal icon Measure
- National High Blood Pressure Education Program. The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure pdf icon[PDF – 223 KB]external iconpdf iconexternal icon. Bethesda, MD: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; 2003.
- James PA, Oparil S, Carter BL, et al. 2014 evidence-based guideline for the management of high blood pressure in adults: report from the panel members appointed to the Eighth Joint National Committee (JNC 8)external iconexternal icon. JAMA. 2014;311:507-20.
- Whelton PK, Carey RM, Aronow WS, Casey DE, Collins KJ, Dennison C, et al. 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA Guideline for the prevention, detection, evaluation, and management of high blood pressure in adults.external iconexternal icon Hypertension. 2018;71(19):e13–115.