Intermediate Outcome Indicators
Control High Blood Pressure Indicators
Access to services
Screening for High Blood Pressure and Follow-Up Documented (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) CMS 317pdf iconexternal icon) National Quality Forum (NQF), Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS), Million Hearts
- Percentage of patients aged 18 years and older seen during the reporting period who were screened for high blood pressure AND a recommended follow up plan is documented based on the current blood pressure reading as indicated.
Monthly or quarterly
Use of evidence-based services
Aspirin Prescribed at Discharge for AMI (NQF 0142external icon) NQF
- Percentage of AMI patients who were prescribed aspirin at hospital discharge.
Use of Aspirin or Another Antiplatelet (NQF 0068external icon) NQF, Million Hearts
- The percentage of patients 18 years age and older who were discharged from an inpatient setting with an AMI, coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) or percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) during the 12 months prior to measurement year, or who had a diagnosis of ischemic vascular disease (IVD) during the measurement year and the year prior to the measurement year and who had documentation of routine use of aspirin or another platelet aggregation inhibitor during the measurement year.
Tobacco Use-Screening and Cessation Intervention (NQF 0028pdf iconexternal icon) NQF, Million Hearts
- Percentage of patients aged 18 years and older who were screened for tobacco use one or more times within 24 months AND who received cessation intervention if identified as a tobacco user.
Monthly or quarterly
HEDIS HEDISexternal icon Measure
Medicaid Medicaid Core Setexternal icon Measure
MIPS MIPSexternal icon Measure
Million Hearts Million Heartsexternal icon Measure
- National High Blood Pressure Education Program. The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure pdf icon[PDF – 223 KB]external iconpdf iconexternal icon. Bethesda, MD: National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute; 2003.
- James PA, Oparil S, Carter BL, et al. 2014 evidence-based guideline for the management of high blood pressure in adults: report from the panel members appointed to the Eighth Joint National Committee (JNC 8)external iconexternal icon. JAMA. 2014;311:507-20.
- Whelton PK, Carey RM, Aronow WS, Casey DE, Collins KJ, Dennison C, et al. 2017 ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA Guideline for the prevention, detection, evaluation, and management of high blood pressure in adults.external iconexternal icon Hypertension. 2018;71(19):e13–115.