CDC Health Information Innovation Consortium Overview
CDC recognizes and is committed to the call for innovative solutions. The Office of Public Health Scientific Services (OPHSS) launched the CDC Information Innovation Consortium (CHIIC), as part of the agency’s Surveillance Strategy to foster and promote creative solutions to surveillance challenges that are unique to public health.
CHIIC serves as a channel for innovative projects in CDC programs and collaborates with State, Tribal, Local, and Territorial agencies. The goal of the consortium is to encourage innovative projects with Public Health Informatics and Health IT activities across the agency, make them available as reproducible tools and models, and share lessons learned with programs and projects within CDC and its public health partners.
Initially, the consortium will identify and accelerate emerging tools and approaches to improve the availability, quality, and timeliness of surveillance data as well as information of use for surveillance while also connecting these efforts to the other activities of the Surveillance Strategy. Over time priority focus areas will change to support the priorities established by the Surveillance Leadership Board.
This report highlights CHIICs impact and accomplishments in 2016, including the two awarded CDC Surveillance Strategy Innovation Projects and results from the six completed projects from the portfolio of projects.
This report highlights CHIICs impact and accomplishments in 2015, including the five awarded CDC Surveillance Strategy Innovation Projects and results from the five completed projects from the 2014 portfolio of projects.
CHIIC holds quarterly public meetings to identify informatics challenges and present the results of completed or in progress innovative activities.
NEW! February 20 th Forum:
- Blockchain 101 for Public Health by Dr. Tom Savel, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
In this presentation, Dr. Savel, will provide an overview of blockchain technology, including what it is, how it works, as well as its transformation impact on a wide variety of industries, including finance, Internet of Things (IoT), supply chain management, clinical care, and public health.
- Savel will cover many issues, including a description of Ethereum and other blockchains, the relationship between blockchain technology and cryptocurrencies / digital assets (e.g., Bitcoin), file storage challenges, security and privacy issues, as well as scaling and workforce issues.
- This presentation will be of interest to everyone—whether you are a tech expert or brand new to Blockchain technology.
This is a one-page fact sheet about the CDC Health Information Innovation Consortium (CHIIC).
- Page last reviewed: February 21, 2017
- Page last updated: February 20, 2018
- Content source: