Office of Public Health Data, Surveillance, and Technology (OPHDST)
As part of CDC Moving Forward, we're forming a new Office of Public Health Data, Surveillance, and Technology. Stay tuned to this website for updates.
Jennifer Layden, MD, PhD is the Director for the Office of Public Health Data, Surveillance, and Technology. In this position, she is responsible for leading, coordinating, and executing a comprehensive public health data strategy and improving the availability and use of public health data to inform decision-making and action. A primary focus of Dr. Layden’s role is to provide leadership for CDC’s Data Modernization Initiative and serve as an advisor to the CDC Director.
You can learn more about Dr. Layden’s leadership to modernize public health data and IT through these resources:
- Strategy: Public Health Data Strategy
- Leadership: Data Modernization Initiative
- Report: 2022 DMI Snapshot: Transforming Data to Protect Health
- Social media: Bipartisan Commission on Biodefense
- FCW (February 2023): CDC technology office plans roadmap for public health data interoperability
- Politico (January 2023): A new org chart for the CDC
- Public Health Informatics Institute (May 2022): 2022 Data Modernization Workshop: Accelerating Transformational Strategies for Lasting Change
- Health IT Buzz (September 2022): ONC and CDC Working Together to Strengthen Public Health Systems, Tools, and Practices that Keep Us Safe