The 2013 Prevention Status Reports (PSRs), highlight the status of policies and practices designed to prevent or reduce problems affecting public health. Individual reports are available for all 50 states and the District of Columbia on 10 health topics including Nutrition, Physical Activity and Obesity. The PSR Quick Start Guide provides tips and tools to help state health officials and other public health leaders use the PSRs to advance evidence-based public health practices in their states.
2014 Breastfeeding Report Card Cdc-pdf[PDF-1.25 MB] provides state-by-state data to help public health practitioners, health professionals, community members, child care providers, and family members work together to protect, promote and support breastfeeding. The Report Card indicators measure types of support in key community settings as well as the most current data on the breastfeeding goals outlined in Healthy People 2020.
Fruits and Vegetables
The State Indicator Report on Fruits & Vegetables, 2018 highlights approaches to increase the purchase, supply, and demand of fruits and vegetables in states and communities across the United States. The report shows the status of 10 indicators on fruit and vegetable access and production for all 50 states and the District of Columbia. The report also highlights state successes and provides strategies for improvement.
The State Action Guides on Fruits and Vegetables (2018) show how states are doing on important measures of access and affordability, and highlight steps to increase fruit and vegetable consumption and promote healthy food environments, particularly in settings that reach children and families.
Previous State Indicator Reports on Fruits and Vegetables
- 2009 National Action Guide Cdc-pdf[PDF-160KB]
- 2009 Fruit and Vegetable State Indicator Report Cdc-pdf[PDF-405KB]
- 2013 Fruit and Vegetable State Indicator Report Cdc-pdf[PDF-4.50MB]External
Children’s Food Environment
Children’s Food Environment State Indicator Report, 2011 Cdc-pdf[PDF-768KB] highlights selected behaviors, environments, and policies that affect childhood obesity through support of healthy eating.
Persons with disabilities experiencing problems accessing this page should contact CDC-INFO at CDC-INFO@cdc.gov, 800-232-4636 or the TTY number at (888) 232-6348 and ask for a 508 Accommodation PR#9342. If emailing, please type “508 Accommodation PR#9342” without quotes in the subject line of the email.
- National Action Guide Cdc-pdf[PDF-616KB] provides potential actions that state leaders, coalitions, community-based organizations, and professionals can take alone or in partnership to support state residents’ purchase and consumption of more healthful foods.
- Census Tract Level State Maps of the Modified Retail Food Environment Index (mRFEI) Cdc-pdf[PDF–55.1MB] includes maps of the mRFEI for each state and Washington D.C. These maps can be used to help identify census tracts within states or communities that either lack access to healthy food retailers such as supermarkets or contain very high densities of fast food restaurants and convenience stores relative to the number of healthy food retailers. States and communities can also use data from the mRFEI Data Table Cdc-excel[Excel–5.04MB] to create their own maps using GIS software or link the mRFEI data to other census-tract level data they may have available.
The State Indicator Report on Physical Activity, 2014 Cdc-pdf[PDF-2.8MB] presents information on physical activity behaviors and policies that encourage and support physical activity in states. Individual State Action Guides summarize each state’s data and provide suggested actions that state health departments can take to encourage and increase physical activity in their states.
State Indicator Report on Physical Activity, 2010 Cdc-pdf[PDF-1.5MB] includes data about individual behaviors related to physical activity, as well as the presence or absence of physical features and policies that can make being physically active either easy or hard to do.
- National Action Guide Cdc-pdf[PDF-223KB] summarizes physical activity levels among Americans and provides potential action items to support state-level policy and environmental changes to increase physical activity.
- State Indicator Report on Physical Activity, 2010 Data Tables with Confidence Intervals Cdc-pdf[PDF-305KB] provides state-specific information summarized for each state’s physical activity levels and compared to the nation.
Progress on children eating more fruit, but not more vegetables: CDC Vital Signs Cdc-pdf[PDF-16.9MB] August 2014
CDC trend data finds that US children ages 2-18 are eating more fruit, but not more vegetables. Child care and schools can help children meet daily recommendations.
Progress on Childhood Obesity CDC Vital Signs Report August 2013
Many states show declines, but there is more work to be done to continue the downward trend.
More People Walk to Better Health: CDC Vital Signs Report August 2012
Find out how many Americans are walking their way to better health, and what can be done to make it easier for others to walk.
Hospital Support for Breastfeeding: CDC Vital Signs Report August 2011
Breastfeeding helps protect against childhood obesity. A baby’s risk of becoming an overweight child goes down with each month of breastfeeding.
Adult Obesity: CDC Vital Signs Report August 2010
Obesity is common, serious, and costly. In 2009, about 2.4 million more adults were obese than in 2007. More efforts are needed, and new federal initiatives are helping to change our communities into places that strongly support healthy eating and active living.
- Disparities in State-Specific Adult Fruit and Vegetable Intake — United States, 2015
- Also available:
Science-in-Brief: Fruit and Vegetable Intake 2015 Cdc-pdf[PDF-378KB]
- Also available:
- Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Consumption Among U.S. Adults – 18 States
- Restaurant Menu Labeling Use Among Adults – 17 States, 2012
- Vital Signs: Fruit and Vegetable Intake Among Children — United States, 2003–2010
- Obesity – United States, 1999 – 2010
- Access to Healthier Food Retailers – United States, 2011
- Vital Signs: Hospital Practices to Support Breastfeeding – United States, 2007 and 2009
- Physical Activity Levels of High School Students – United States, 2010
- Beverage Consumption Among High School Students – United States, 2010
- Prevalence of Obesity Among Adults with Arthritis – United States, 2003 – 2009
- CDC Grand Rounds: Childhood Obesity in the United States
- State-Specific Trends in Fruit and Vegetable Consumption Among Adults – United States, 2000—2009
- Vital Signs: State-Specific Obesity Prevalence Among Adults – United States, 2009