Tastes and Textures
Giving your child foods with a variety of different tastes and textures can help him or her:
- Develop fine motor skills (like pinching and picking food up with her fingers).
- Develop chewing skills.
- Learn to accept and like a variety of foods.
You can let your child try a variety of textures including:
- Smooth (strained or pureed).
- Mashed or lumpy.
- Finely chopped or ground.
Your child may start out with smooth or mashed foods first and then begin to eat finely chopped or ground foods as he or she gets older. Encourage your child to pinch or pick up food as he or she develops these skills.
- Page last reviewed: May 7, 2018
- Page last updated: May 7, 2018
- Content source: