New Facility Job Aid: Planning (Pre-Onboarding)
The National Syndromic Surveillance Program (NSSP) uses a four-phase onboarding process. Onboarding is a collaborative process in which the NSSP and site teams work with a facility, health department, electronic health records (EHR) vendor, or health information exchange (HIE) to transmit syndromic data from medical record systems to the NSSP BioSense Platform.
The “PLANNING” job aid will take the site administrator step-by-step through the activities that must be completed by the site’s team before submitting a Service Desk ticket to start the onboarding process.
Job aids are available for planning and onboarding. Use these job aids with each other and the New Facility Onboarding Guide for the BioSense Platform, hereafter referred to as Onboarding Guide.
Review New Facility Planning: Site Support Models Job Aid to confirm the level of support needed during the onboarding process.
If applicable, develop a Facility Recruitment Plan to prioritize the facilities you want to onboard. See Onboarding Guide, 3.6 Recruitment Plan.
Establish optional service-level agreements if needed: Downstream Data Use Agreement and BioSense Onboarding Process Facility Acknowledgement (Onboarding Guide, Appendix B, Facility BOPA).
Identify your team. NSSP recommends using guidance on definitions from Onboarding Guide to fill site roles and responsibilities (see 3.3 Site Roles and Responsibilities):
- Site administrator
- Feed Administrator to establish feed connectivity
- Technical Contact to develop HL7 messages
Review training and resources:
- New Facility Onboarding Guide for the BioSense Platformpdf icon
- NSSP Technical Resource Center
- NSSP Onboarding Website
- Public Health Information Network (PHIN) Tools and Resources, PHIN Guides
- National Institute of Science and Technology (NIST) Data Validation Toolsexternal icon
- BioSense Platform Quick Start Guide to Using the Master Facility Tablepdf icon
Create and test the following HL7 message types:
A08—Update Patient Information
- Message developers should always use the latest version of the PHIN Messaging Guide for Syndromic Surveillance, located on the CDC PHIN website.
- Upload message (follow NSSP file-naming conventions).
- To correct errors, use the NIST website toolexternal icon to test at least two samples of each message type.
- Ensure data elements map correctly; if needed, remove personally identifiable information (PII).
Resolve errors, if applicable, and resubmit HL7 messages to site.
If applicable, download the NIST HL7 Validation Report and confirm successful results.
Update the site Master Facility Table (MFT) to include the facility you want to onboard. Set the facility being onboarded to an onboarding status. To add a new facility, see the BioSense Platform Quick Start Guide to Using the Master Facility Tablepdf icon.