SMALL BUSINESS RESOURCE GUIDE
Guides and Courses
Guides and Handbooks
Test your company with this self-evaluation resource. Small businesses/enterprises can conduct a self-check and find out how fit their business is.Small businesses can learn strengths and potential opportunities for improvement. This online resource is maintained by non-commercial organizations from different countries, promoting workplace safety and health in small and medium-sized businesses. It is founded on “10 keys to success” for a small business in the area of prevention.
No cost resource provided in cooperation with the Special Commission on Prevention of the International Social Security Association (ISSA). Some resources are not in English. This online resource translates into five languages (English, Spanish, French, Italian, and Dutch).
University of South FloridaResources for preparing the written core safety plan for Small Business management system.Elements include high-hazard industries, construction, small business resources, indoor air quality, work zone safety, pandemic flu, nursing care ergonomic safety, landscaping safety, safety plans, process safety management, Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) and electrical.These resources include self-inspection checklists, safety training, Hispanic safety, teen worker safety, imported drywall worker safety, hurricane prep and cleanup and free safety consultation.
Free resources provided by the University of South Florida.
A downloadable guide to managing safety and health in a small business. It includes the four elements of a safety and health program:
- Management commitment and employee involvement
- Worksite analysis
- Hazard prevention and control
Provided by federal OSHA, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
A downloadable resource for small businesses, which includes checklists and covers eight main topics:
- Record keeping
- Safety analysis
- Accident prevention
- Accident reporting and investigating
- Safety inspection
- Program review
Provided by the Texas Department of Insurance. Most information is applicable in other states.
A downloadable booklet about the common causes of workplace injuries and illnesses with quizzes at the end. Contains specific United Kingdom regulations, but much of the information is generally applicable. Topics include:
- Health and safety management
- Slips, trips and falls
- Hazardous substances
- Falls from a height
- Musculoskeletal disorders
- Display screen equipment
- Work equipment and machinery
- Maintenance and building work
- Workplace transport
- Pressure systems
- Fire and explosion
- First aid and accident reporting
Provided by the Health and Safety Executive in the United Kingdom. Contains public sector information published by the Health and Safety Executive and licensed under the Open Government License v1.0. Note: publication date 08/2014 and free downloadable PDF.
This publication explains:
- How to set up a safety and health program
- Laws governing small-businesses
- The ways in which safety increases productivity and employee well-being
The companion CD contains printable checklists and inspection report forms.
Provided for purchase by the National Safety Council.
Source: Page K. Blood on the Coal: The Effect of Organizational Size and Differentiation on Coal Mine Accidents. Journal of Safety and Research 2009: 85-95.
Training Materials and Toolkits
An interactive training guide for business owner and operators with spaces to enter information and analyze their business. It includes seven units:
- Management commitment
- Employee involvement
- Hazard identification and control
- Incident analysis
- Program evaluation
Provided by Oregon OSHA. The workbook contains information for Oregon businesses, but most of the information is applicable in other states.(January 2011)
This free course on building an effective workplace safety and health management system features:
- Information on safety and health management systems
- Regulatory requirements
- Interactive audio, graphical and video enhancement
- Certification tools and resources
Provided by North Carolina State University.
Small Business Safety Training Guide: National Edition
A downloadable guide that provides information for small businesses in many industries. Guide sections are:
- National Small Business Safety Training Guide
- Effective Workplace Safety and Health Management Systems (OSHA Fact Sheet)
- Safety Orientation Checklist
- Factsheet, Safety Pays!
- Factsheet, Controlling Hazards
- Factsheet, Basics of OSHA
- Factsheet, Facts for Employers: Safer Jobs for Teens
- Tip Sheet, Preventing Injuries from Ergonomic Hazards
- Tip Sheet, Preventing Injuries from Robberies and Assaults
- Tip Sheet, Planning for Emergencies on the Job
A California-specific version is also available.
Provided by the California Department of Industrial Relations, Worker Occupational Safety and Health Training Program
Downloadable chapters focused on different workplace health issues. Contains regulations specific to Ireland, but much of the information is generally applicable. The toolkit contains:
- Manual handling
- Display screens
- Work-related stress (includes employee questionnaire)
Includes risk assessment templates and an employee questionnaire about hazards that could lead to work-related stress.
Provided by the Safety and Health Authority of Ireland.
Source: Huang YH, Leamon TB, Courtney TK, DeArmond S, Chen PY, Blair M. Financial Decision-Makers’ Views on Safety. Professional Safety 2009: 36-42.
- Page last reviewed: March 5, 2014
- Page last updated: April 28, 2017
- Content source:
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health Education and Information Division