ELECTRONIC HEALTH RECORDS (EHRs) AND PATIENT WORK INFORMATION
Electronic health records (EHRs) are replacing paper medical records in most medical environments, but EHRs typically do not contain information about patient work.
When it is available, healthcare providers can use information about their patients’ work to provide the most appropriate care. In addition, healthcare organizations can use work information to identify groups of patients who may be at risk for harmful exposures or health problems, or who may benefit from specific interventions.
Patient work information in EHRs and other health information systems also can be used to support public health activities, such as case reporting and disease registries. NIOSH develops tools and investigates best practices that support the inclusion of work information in EHRs and collaborates with federal, state and other partners to ensure that EHRs can be used to improve and track the health of workers.
- The 2018 Public Health Informatics ConferenceExternal will be August 20-23 in Atlanta.
- The NIOSH EHR workgroup participated in the 2018 HIMSS Interoperability ShowcaseExternal at the Value Based Care booth . The HIMSS Interoperability Showcase demonstrates standards based on technology, exchanging health data in real time to support continuity of care and improve outcomes.
- Webinar posted: What’s Going On? NIOSH Progress on Electronic Occupational Data for HealthExternal
- AHRQ Blog: Building a Future for Shared Clinical Decision SupportExternal
- HHS Releases a New Resource to Help Individuals Access and Use Their Health InformationExternal
In order to better serve the public and the scientific and educational communities, all comments and suggestions to improve this site are welcomed. Please also let us know what information from this site was useful to you and why. E-mail us at EHRs_and_Work@CDC.gov.
- Incorporating Occupational Information in Electronic Health RecordsExternal
- Office of National Coordinator for Health IT (ONC)External
- American Health Information Management Association-Public Health Data Standards Council (AHIMA-PHDSC)External
- IHE InternationalExternal
- Digital BridgeExternal
- CSTE Case Reporting (RCKMS)External
- National Notifiable Diseases Surveillance System (NNDSS)
- NNDSS Modernization Initiative (NMI)
- Adapting Clinical Guidelines for the Digital Age